Hay Box Cooking

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I just posted this reply on another forum, thought it might interest a couple here

I’ve looked into this a lot in the past, yes it can work well and remember, a large Thermos is just a fancy haybox cooker and very capable of cooking things like rice and pasta, finishing off a stew etc.

scan0010Large.jpg

scan0011Large.jpg

scan0012Large.jpg

scan0013Large.jpg

scan0014Large.jpg

Used by the British army in WW1 (From a WW1 Hygiene Manual)

IMAGE0001640x480.jpg

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Very interesting.Thanks for posting.Im sure i saw this done on a tv program...Was it the 'victorian' series with Paul heiney?Or the same bloke but doing ww2 type things(home front).
How old is the book?I noticed it said hayboxes are a useful cooking method for serventless houses!
The hygiene manual looks interesting too..Could you let me know the title and author please?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Very interesting.Thanks for posting.Im sure i saw this done on a tv program...Was it the 'victorian' series with Paul heiney?Or the same bloke but doing ww2 type things(home front).
How old is the book?I noticed it said hayboxes are a useful cooking method for serventless houses!
The hygiene manual looks interesting too..Could you let me know the title and author please?

The first book in @1903 I think, the other is

British Red Cross Society Hygiene And Sanitation Manual No.4 1914 amended 1925 Author Lt Colonel G S Parkinson

Some interesting stuff in it, I'll scan a couple of more pages.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I have used a polysyrene box lined with newspaper as a haybox. The polystyrene box came from a petshop as they are used to import tropical fish in. They are not as efficient as a slow cooker, but do mostly cook a stew during the day and really only need about 15 minutes to finish them off. Just enough time to cook the dumplings. Due to the size I hadn't considered one for the 'field'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE