Hawthorn

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Took a donder doon by the beach yesterday and found loads of Hawthorn some are hoorin a hoachin with haws.

Whens the best time to pick them? Nobody's scranned them yet.

Also do i just dry the thorns out for making fishhooks or use em fresh?

Cheers

Chasing Rainbows

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2011
Central Scotland
Aye the haws should be ripe from the start of October. Now until they rot or fall is good.

I'm not sure about the hooks, as I remember hawthorn hooks are bound for strength anyways. I could be wrong, but I don't think it matters whether they're dry or green.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the fresh green leaves, but unless loaded with sugar I find the berries a real disappointment :sigh:
I like haw wafers, but I find the leather just kind of blah. Added some rowans to give them a tang and that was better though.
I keep meaning to try the ketchup stuff.....do they act like the dates in the traditional recipes ?

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I like the fresh green leaves, but unless loaded with sugar I find the berries a real disappointment :sigh:
I like haw wafers, but I find the leather just kind of blah. Added some rowans to give them a tang and that was better though.
I keep meaning to try the ketchup stuff.....do they act like the dates in the traditional recipes ?

cheers,
Toddy

i have made some queer ketchups but never with dates as an ingreadant. The recipe is just haw pulp vinegar and sugar and what ever seasoning you add. Mine was a good red colour and tasted pretty much like thick vegatable ketchup until I was stupid enough to use metal sieve to remove the seeds.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tamarind and dates make a good basic thickness for brown sauce :D

You get better reds than I do from the haws; I mind you mentioning the dye. I get russets rather than reds from the ones near me and it's the same for the fruit leathers.

I had wondered about thickening up the sweet rowan and chilli dipping sauce into a kind of ketchup with the haws.
I still have rowans in the freezer, might give it a go when we've finished the last of the sauce :)

I finally bit the bullet and paid the cash for a stainless steel sieve, I was fed up with them looking like rusty messes and tainting acidic food. The plastic ones ended up so stained they were kind of repulsive and I couldn't get a real push through them when working stuff with the wooden spoon. SS seems to be working so far. I got it from Lakeland's.

cheers,
M

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The recipie said "drip through sieve or cloth overnight" . I wanted thick sauce, it was so thick it didnt drip, it just reacted with metal and went black. To red colour I got was from mashed uncooked haws been passed through a cheese cloth, I couldnt replicate a even colour, it was just streaky bright madder stains. If it was cooked or had too much water I just got dull pink. i tried rubbing the haws into cloth and did just looked like dirty cloth not anything that intentionally dyed. I am going to do the next lot through a cloth.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE