hawthorn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
pretty tough wood mate, can be worth it though sometimes it has lovely grain and checking patterns.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Its as tough as :tapedshut when seasoned, they used to make the heads of threshing flails from it

Wonderful grain and some great natral shapes........little and often when you carve it

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Carves nicely when green (spoon on the right)
selectionofspoons.jpg

Makes a nice knife handle when seasoned
budgetknife7.jpg

I recently carved a spoon from a green cut hawthorn for a frind of mine. While it was green it carved beautifully. I am working on a kuksa for my wife with a cured piece now, but I think I am gonna have to scrap it and get another green piece to work on. Hawthorns are a non-native invase here in the States so I get to cut them pretty regularly at work.

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
I'd say it carves like a chunk of hard plastic.It may be worth the extra effort and patience though because its hardness means you get a nice polished finish straight from the edge tool and you can make vessels thin walled.I've just about finished a Kuksa in Hawthorne and it has been a real labour of love that have kept shifting on to backburner and coming back to, as progress is so slow. I'll post a pic when oiled; hathorne has lovely pattening as already mentioned.
Cheers John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE