Hawthorn, whats it good for?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Never mind, looking at the half a trunk left, there's not going to be enough width wise.

just thinking what to make next. I don't really use the kuskas I've got and its a bit small for bowls.

i'll have a flick through some books and see if I get any ideas for stuff I'd use.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The half log wasnt quite wide enough for this project so i used a rather ratty piece of hard wood of indeterminate type.

Anyhoo its meant to be the copy of a 17/18th C dug out cottage tinderbox. A lapse of concentration and I had knocked off a great chunk of the one side, hence the non period nails. I did it all by eye using a saw, a 1/2 inch mortice chisel and mallet, a spoon bit in a brace, mora and sand paper. When finished the wood was still heavily stained so I gave it a good covering of "oak" wood stain and a couple of layers of beeswax and tallow polish on the outside. The tamper is a piece of old roofing lead the buidlers left on the garden. It was white when i started but a brisk rub with brasso got that off.

Anyhow it will do until I can get some oak or elm to do the larger two hole sort of dug out tinder box.

ATB

Tom

17thCtinderBox01_zps1e9950cc.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE