Hawk in my garden!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Val called me excitedly this afternoon and said there was a big bird eating a little bird on the hedge just outside our back window.

I grabbed the camera and snapped this.
hawk4.jpg

Once I was sure it wasn't going to fly straight off, I put on the big lens and took loads more. Here's just a couple.
hawk2.jpg

hawk3.jpg

I'm crap at bird ID. Anyone identify it for me?
Anyway, it proceeded to rip apart a young sparrow that has a nest in the hedge it was standing on. It didn't shift for a good ten minutes - until it had eaten every last bit. Then it looked around for more, didn't find any, had a poo and flew off.
I thought it might have been a sparrow hawk, but I was always under the impression they were quite small. This one was rather large - kestrel maybe? I dunno. I just know it was hungry.
Eric

Reactions: redcollective

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sparrowhawk Eric (adult male I think) - lovely photos too!

Red

Edit to say - they get to be about a foot in length with a 2 foot 6 wingspan

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Looks like an immature sparrowhawk as the barring on the chest isn't properly formed. A kestrel would be smaller......Fantastic pics :)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
The id's above are spot on for me - even the appropriate prey!

Superb photos Eric, you're very privileged to get such a top view.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Fantastic pictures Eric. :D

It's not often that you get such a clear view.

SWMBO made me stop putting seed on an open bird table when we had the same thing happen. :rolleyes:

All the seeds are now in feeders hanging in the trees.

BTW,hope you are recovering well.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Beautiful shots,

We get a Sparrowhawk quite often in our garden and when in full hunting mode they are stunning to watch. Like Eric they can use our fence posts to perch on but i have yet to be fast enough to grab my camera.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
BorderReiver said:
SWMBO made me stop putting seed on an open bird table when we had the same thing happen. :rolleyes:

All the seeds are now in feeders hanging in the trees.

BTW,hope you are recovering well.

Naah - we scatter it around :lmao: . Mostly get sparrowhawks and buzzards (who eat rats coming in from the fields after the grain this time of year) but now and again a peregrine which is truly magical. They can all have all the sparrows they want :D

Never got a pic as nice as Erics though

Red

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Great photos mate. A couple of years ago i saw a sparrowhawk take out a dove that was busy feeding on my dad's lawn, an amazing site, that is until my mother banged on the window and scared it away :rolleyes:

Hope you're feeling better mate

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE