Haviouac

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
This thought came to me whilst i was thinking about buying a biviouac for when I go on climbing trips.

The bivy appeals to me because it is a quick shelter however the hammock appeals to me because its comfy. However you then have the basha to put up to keep you dry, which doesn't always work.

Anyway I was thinking why not have a Haviouac a cross between a bivi and a hammock. That way you can have the option to sleep on the floor or to hang it up if the floor beneath does not permit you to sleep on it or even use it on the side of a cliff (With harness aswell. I don't trust my sewing)!!!

Heres my design:
451xowz.gif

Anyone else made a Haviouac?
Where can you buy good outdoor textiles?
Want this to be waterproof and breatable obviously, goretex the only option?
Would it be strong enough or would it be best mixed with parashute nylon aswell or something?
How else can you make it totally waterproof other than having a flap which might make it difficult to get in?

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I guess you could buy a gore tex bivvy bag and convert it - would gore-tex be strong enough to support one's weight?

What were you thinking re: insulation? Thermarest?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There is a US jungle hammock out there that has an integral mozzie net and a waterproof roof, all in one. May be worth checking it out for possible ideas, or just to rip it off!!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Sounds good in theory, but where you going to go when it's chucking it down for hours on end and it isn't even night yet. The tarp is great for sheltering under when you aren't using the hammock, and it's great for hanging your kit from at night. The Haviouac wouldn't give you any protection except when it's closed up completely. As soon as you unzip it in the morning you'll either get rained on before you can get dressed, or that great puddle of water that accumulated during the night will run right in as soon as you undo the zip - and you won't even know it's there until you undo the zip.

Eric

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Yeah. I suppose but surely its no different from a normal bivi bag. I'm just thinking in terms of a quick one night nomadic type shelter.

The idea I mainly thought of when i was setting up a tent at climbing when there were no trees available and I only used it for a night to have a nap in before the next day of climbing.

I just thought it may be nice to have the option to hang the bivy aswell say if the ground doesn't permit sleeping on.

I could just give the insides of the bivi a quick couple of taps to get rid of some water.

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
Also remember that the only thing that makes it comfortable sleeping in a hammock is being able to lie diagonally in it. That allows you to sleep in a reasonably flat position. With a narrow "hammock" like you've got designed, you'll end up with the dreaded bannana shape which becomes very uncomfortable after awhile (okay for a quick nap but not for a nights sleep). Believe me since I started out with a US M1966 hammock which is about 32 inches wide by about 7.5 feet long. No way to get diagonal in that thing :(

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
I've attempted a similar set up with a British army surplus goretex bivi bag
The hood was bunched up and knotted using sheetbends as were the bottom two corners.
Problems
Seams-these run both up and around the bag so weaken it- can be solved by your suggestion of a new built bag
Stress- Goretex leaks when it is stressed against either an object or stretched, in theory only a problem on the bottom and sides of the hammock/bag. I didn't have the opportunity to test this.
Length- the 8ft bag does not give 8ft of sleeping area- not even close. I used sheetbends on each corner to use as little material as possable but still ended up with not much hammock, to solve this more material is needed- however goretex is not cheap in terms of weight or cost.
Stability- the head opening is right at one end of the hammock making it quite unstable to get into- can be solved by a ridge line, sleeping outside it or the widely spaced double lines you have in the diagram.

Outcome;
In the end I converted the bag to something like a bivanorak;
http://www.hilleberg.com/Catalog/bivanorak_4846109.htm
with a drawcord bottom and sleeves. This allows it to be passed over a lightweight hammock tightly strung therefore doubling in use as rain gear as opposed to a hammock.

These are my findings trying to convert an existing peice of kit. Your design looks very promising, the best of luck, I'd be very interested in knowing how it all goes.

If you are looking for a bivi bag that can also be used as a climbing hammock
http://www.desperate-measures.co.uk/news.aspx?newsid=13
however for dedicated hanging on a wall I think a single point hammock might be the way to go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE