Have you stayed in the Priest's Hole?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Off for a walk over Fairfield tomorrow and thought I'd pop in to the Priest's Hole. Have lived less than 20 miles from it and never visited during my 37 years in the Lakes!

Tomorrow is just a day out. I have some time off work soon and as per tradition i usually get away for a night or two during Jan/Feb. Would like to ditch the tent and bivvy here for the night but wondered how busy it gets, i know it can be a popular place. I'm hoping that people bivvy here during the summer and when it's due to be colder than a polar bears cold bits in a few weeks time, i should have some peace and quiet!

Anyone with any experience? Also wouldn't mind a very small fire (no trace etc etc) to keep the chill out - its out of the way (according to map) so no one should notice.

By not taking a tent i wouldn't want to turn up and find a small buscrafters outing in residence with no room for little old me and face a long walk down in the dark.
:beerchug:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve stayed in there in January before and it`s been empty, we went a week after the New Year which I hear is a good night out :D

Great views to wake up to, especially if it`s white over.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Did the horseshoe last year and didn't see anything due to cloud and horizontal rain, so we didn't bother with the hole. If you do go, please show us some piccies.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Well, I went yesterday (and have some sore legs to prove it !). SWIMBO dropped me off at Kirkstone Pass, walked down to Brothers Water then up the valley towards Priest's Hole. I can see the scramble up to the cave being a bit tricky after snow/ice. It was a cold day so some snow still laying about, made the rocks very slippy. Cave is great, a definate must for an overnight bivvy. Nearest standing dead wood was towards the bottom of the valley so it would need to be carried quite a way if a nice fire was to be had. The small stone wall does a good job of keeping some of the wind out and as i went looking for the visitors book i was quite surprised to find a metal box with the following contents!! Visitors book, duly signed and a mention of BCUK left, bottle of whisky, 1/2 bottle of vodka, remains of bottle of wine, tin soup, loads of half used gas canisters, few candles and other bits! A few bivvy bags and a karrimat (both from the 1980's (and both looked as if the myth of the resident mouse was true as they had definately been chewed - it seems the mouse has a taste for 1980's blue karrimats!!)) had been kindly folded in the corner. Sadly one or two people hadn't cleared up their mess but it wasn't too bad (i guess the long walk up puts most of the beer louts off). I had a very enjoyable lunch and brew with stunning views, left some candles and matches in the tin, cleared up some plastic wrappers which were carried down to a bin, and made my way up and over Farifield (which had quite a covering of snow to the North side), through the mist and down in to Ambleside. Great day out, will definately re-visit the cave. Now, lets see if i can get some photo's attached......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE