Have you had any First Aid Training?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I have a current Emergency First Aid in the Outdoors via http://www.outwardlymobile.com/

Very scenario based and as it is for Teachers out with groups outdoors, he tailors it for us. If the second day has no scenarios, then it is really a waste of time.

I would like tot do the WEMSI one at Glenmore Lodge but can't afford the cost but could do it in hols.

I would like to develop myself as a First Aid instructor, easier up here as you need a teaching/training qualification now.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Yes, probably. But in my experience they leave the wound beneath somewhat soggy, so they're best removed as soon as they reasonably can be.

You could also cut a length of elastoplast tape and use that as a mega steristrip, but with a clean dressing underneath. If the wound is not clotting then direct pressure and closing is required, at least temporary till they get hospitalised.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Yeah I gathered what you meant. By "different laws" I meant that while there appears NOT to be a law there requiring proffessionals to stop, there IS one here. I suppose I should add that those professionals are excused from rendering any more aid than they might have the euipment to do so. In short that means the obvious; they don't have to give CPR if they don't have the proper protective mask, etc.

After the recent LECHT SKI CENTRE chairlift accident, the site owners specifically thanked Doctors who happened to be on the hill with families, who skied over and helped without being asked.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I recall recently a thread by Imagedude I think about the components of his bespoke kit.

Last weekend I went on a 2-day course, tailored to the specific needs of outdoor folk (I was the only person out of 6 who wasn't a D of E leader). In what was pretty crummy weather most of the time we did a lot of outdoor scenarios, covering virtually any incident you might be expected to find, from bad cooking burns to complicated fractures, hypothermia, cuts and so on.

Included in this was certification on using a defibrillator, which although a bit off-topic was well worth it in order to make the things a whole heap less intimidating (basically the machine will not do anything it doesn't need to).

There is a big difference between merely having a kit with you in the woods and actually having had some formal training. How many of you folk are either trained or qualified in some context?

If you have never done even a basic course I would recommend it.

I got a lot of training in the army. Medics are targets like anyone else, so we all knew the basics of each others job. Also got the normal Norwegian army courses on Hypothermia, how to prevent it, how to stop it etc...along with a lot of the other things they train you on in the services.

And got to practice some of the skills on deployment. After that there has been at least a course once a year at work. That's more or less mandatory. Mostly that is HLR and that sort of thing.
So I am resonably up to date on this. So I am sort of confident that I know what to do until I get professional help. But I have no papers saying so.

Widgy grub

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
Hi there ,
I'm a LIVES level 3 first responder,
We are trained in a variety of skills for emergency pre hospital care, we only respond to 999 and now 111 call outs.
Also I am event first aid and FAW trained.
" first aid " is using your common sense and training.. There's no point in having an all singing and dancing first aid kit in your rucksack if you haven't a clue in what to do with it.... You really have to get hands on and practice.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Up untill a few years ago I was a part time festival marshal. the first aid we did for that was mainly campsite type injuries, cuts, burns, falls, it's amazing how many stoned and drunk people trip over guy ropes. crowd crushing as well as dealing with excesses of drink and drugs. and the results of disagreements usually fuelled by too much drink or drugs.

These days as a a foster carer I have to have a current first aid geared mainly for paediatric, children and teens which also includes drug awareness (cant seem to get away from the drink and drugs). I'm also a first aider for work which I had to do another course for as the 2 courses are tailored for different needs

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I did a basic first aid course in primary school, about 7 years ago. I still remember not to rub your eye when there's something in it. And my teacher saying something like: 'Spitting on a plaster and rubbing it on your pants does not sterilise it Niels!':eek:

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I've gone through a couple of courses
CPR when I was an aerobics instructor and 2 basic courses for outdoors first aid, one aimed at first aid on kids.

Mar 5, 2013
Leeds
I work as a lifeguard.

We have to have first aid knowledge for in and out of water and get tested on it every month (if we fail we can't work until the next month). These tests include:
CPR, Defib, all equipment in a basic medical kit, signs and symptoms to all common and many other illnesses and moving and getting a body out of the water.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I've got first aid at work, outdoor first aid and emergency management. Did all three for the ranger service.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Covert System

May 6, 2013
Nottingham
I was a member of the Red Cross between the ages of 13 to 21 where I did Basic First Aid, Advanced First Aid and Nursing.

I also trained as a Life Guard in water safety and also water survival training and also first aid for treating people in the water.

I didn't keep up the course work after 21 as I had moved away because of work and despite that I have come to the aid of around 9 people, the most recent one was a gentleman in a cafe that I an my son had just sat down to eat a meal and noticed that the gentleman was not able to hold his head up. I went through the checks for a stroke because his wife advised me that he had recently had a neural embolism and all seemed fine on that score, breathing although shallow was regular and had a nice strong pulse that was normal.

The ambulance came and that was the last we saw, it was speculated that the gentleman had contracted food poisoning because his pain was in his lower intestines and he had just brought back up his lunch he had in the cafe.

I have come across someone choking on a sweet and I do know from personal experience what that is like and for me it was a case of self administration of first aid because no one in the car knew what to do.

I have had a neighbour banging on my door at 4 in the morning, his friend had collapsed and stopped breathing and had to perform resuscitation and CPR.

Other incidents I have come across were varied from sprains to an RTA that I was also involved in.

I just hope that when its my turn (again) that their will be at least someone with some knowledge of First Aid, it is very important if you are going out in to the country or out of the country as it can be a life saver, it takes very little to learn it and as one person in this thread put, its all about procedure. Knowing what to do, keeping your head and designating tasks to any bystanders to make your job easier is not a skill, its about understanding how to follow procedure and how to enact it.

It has been a very useful tool and also very useful if you are looking for work because employers will take advantage of your skills to comply with HSE regs.

NateJ

May 5, 2013
Sir Benfro
First Aid at Work, Airways, Bag and Mask, AED & Oxygen/Entonox along with PTS training ... Was a member of St John's for 9 years responding to 999's thanks to the rurality of my area.

NateJ

May 5, 2013
Sir Benfro
Spent 9 years with St John Ambulance, started covering events before moving on to motocross and then eventually PTS and Responder work.

Would often find ourselves the only Ambulance for miles around when a call would come in to control, so we would end up doing a fair amount of 999 work - I'd been trained up in both BLS (including Adv. Airway Management) and PTS roles at the that time, including Scene Management and Trauma care .... One of the more " I don't like this" courses was doing the Pediatrics Immediate Care (Essentially the same as the BLS, just more advanced).

I lost three patients with St John, one of whom went in my arms - But I've successfully brought back more.

I know for a M.O.P, when they come across a person in dire need of help they can and do freak out at it ... Sometimes frozen solid out of fear and shock - It doesn't take a lot to learn basic skills, and it's those basic skills that, in the heat of the moment with the nearest trained help miles away, can ensure that the patient remains alive, and I'd urge anyone that hasn't already done so to go and get trained.

Jun 17, 2013
mid yorkshire
I did a first aid course many years ago, it lapsed,
about 7/8 years ago I went on another, even renewed it, but now that has lapsed, had to do first aid last year on a first aider who had falled at an event.......

Roy

Nov 19, 2008
Liverpool
I have to have regular "medical emergency training" as part of my ongoing professional development. Many of my work associates just opt for the classroom type training in a normal or regular work environment but given the choice between this or an outdoor based course I opted for the latter.
The course was run over two full days with the second done outdoors with plenty of improvisation of stretches, splints etc.
Came away as a qualified first aider but still try to enhance my skills with reading and practicing different scenarios.
My children, who are now all adults but still live at home,are all medical professionals so first aid is like an auto response.
One thing which is often overlooked is the after effects of having to administer first aid or even being involved in an incident. It's important to "debrief" as trauma can have serious after effects!
Cheers
Roy

Hastur

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2012
North West, England
I've recently completed the 'Far From Help' course with Wilderness Medical Training, as well as providing a lot of information for expedition leaders it allows you to purchase and prescribe POM's (prescription Only Medicines) while on expedition.

It's a great course and I got a lot out of it even though I am FA trained through my role as a Rugby Coach and previous medical and military medical training.

I've no affiliation to the provider but I recommend the course, it was http://wildernessmedicaltraining.co.uk/explorer-series-far-from-help.

Dan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE