Have you had any First Aid Training?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
For the record I carry a middling sized first aid kit that I bought from Cotswold Outdoor in the car/on holiday/trekking/scouting etc and have found that I have never needed to exceed the (at first glance) comparatively few items in the kit - but I may just have been lucky so far :)

I probably have some overkill in a few of my kits. In one or two of them I have sutures, resuscitation mask w/bag or pump, scalpels, and so on. It all depends on just how far I think (time wise) I may be from medical assistance. We've had broken bones, puncture wounds, second degree burns, dislocations and anaphylactic shock due to an allergic reaction. We aren't careless or accident prone as these things occurred over a period of some 20 years of family camping. I think I tend to over react:yikes: , in that if something happens or 'almost happens, I want to be better prepared in case there is a next time. 99% of the time all I've ever needed was a Bandaid (plaster?)or something for a sunburn or friction blister and a little ointment for the germs. Can you tell me what is in your kit (just curious)?
:stretcher:

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
The last one I did I had a nurse standing at the side watching me, when she announced she was a nurse I offered for her to take over, she pretty much stepped back then quietly departed as the ambulance arrived. I'm sure she had good reason but i did find it slightly bizarre.

It may have had something to do with fear of litigation. many places have 'Good Samaritan" laws that protect people who help in emergencies. There was a case many years ago in which a man pulled someone from a burning auto and was sued because the victim and their lawyer claimed that it was the man's rough handling that caused them to become paralyzed. No good deed goes unpunished. Regardless, I think I would help a stranger, they can take what little I have but my integrity is all mine.
Does anyone know of a 'Good Samaritan' law where they live? We have had one in Michigan since 1978.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nurses are told to be very cautious about stepping in to offer medical assistance (liability and litigation, you see). Unless she's specifically trained, she'd have had no more emergency care training than you have yourself.

Different laws I suppose. In Florida they're REQUIRED to stop and assist.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It may have had something to do with fear of litigation. many places have 'Good Samaritan" laws that protect people who help in emergencies. There was a case many years ago in which a man pulled someone from a burning auto and was sued because the victim and their lawyer claimed that it was the man's rough handling that caused them to become paralyzed. No good deed goes unpunished. Regardless, I think I would help a stranger, they can take what little I have but my integrity is all mine.
Does anyone know of a 'Good Samaritan' law where they live? We have had one in Michigan since 1978.

Florida too. Although I really don't know what year it was passed.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think that's as it should be, at a minimum. The best scenario is for everyone to be protected. It would be tragic to lose a life because of a litigious society.
For the 'Good Samaritan' law in Florida; it does protect any and all 1st aiders. The bit requiring nurses (or anyone with a 1st aid certificate or higher training) to stop and assist is actually a separate law.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There isn't a law - they are just told to be cautious.

Yeah I gathered what you meant. By "different laws" I meant that while there appears NOT to be a law there requiring proffessionals to stop, there IS one here. I suppose I should add that those professionals are excused from rendering any more aid than they might have the euipment to do so. In short that means the obvious; they don't have to give CPR if they don't have the proper protective mask, etc.

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
I think there are very very limited uses for sutures in a civilian first aid kit, I'd be interested why you include them.

The two first aid kits I have sutures in are for long term wilderness trips. While I doubt there would ever be a need, I believe that for the weight, even when combined with two needle holders, it's inexpensive insurance against a the consequences of a catastrophic injury involving lacerations that may require temporary closure. Back when I put these kits together there were times that we were a week or more away from help. There is also compressed gauze and sterile wetting agent for wound packing and some packets of QuickClot. In 99% of cases packing and compression with a combat dressing is adequate to keep a wound in condition until an emergency physician can treat. Everything we take into the field is a balance of need, perceived need and weight. My usual first aid kit for a two to four day camp weighs a pound, if that. It has a tourniquet, and a battle dressing as well as a dressing set for eye injuries. I don't expect an amputation or a catastrophic wound and have never suffered an injury to my eyes and yet, there they are along with splinter tweezers and moleskin. Go figure.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
The two first aid kits I have sutures in are for long term wilderness trips. While I doubt there would ever be a need, I believe that for the weight, even when combined with two needle holders, it's inexpensive insurance against a the consequences of a catastrophic injury involving lacerations that may require temporary closure. Back when I put these kits together there were times that we were a week or more away from help. There is also compressed gauze and sterile wetting agent.
Thanks that makes sense and remote medicine is one of those limited uses I was thinking of. Personally I would not be so sure about field treating a "Catastrophic" injury with sutures, minor single layered stuff yes; if it's remote enough. Luckily nowhere is a week from help these days, if it's that serious.

Last edited:
MREW Cascare for the last 6 years, gonna do the REC level 2 this year, as well as the FAW this year

Been an event medic for a few long distance/endurance type races and charity events, stuff like the Caledonian Challenge and The Great Highland Hike as well as Maggies Night Hike down London way..

Seen a lot of blisters......

As a member of the RNLI I have had some good training with first aid, the sea survival course down in Poole was 5 days long and was largely first aid, interesting and intense, also did a first aid at work with St John Ambulance, 3 days was also very good.
Not all courses will be relevent as they can be specific for certain environments but general ones are good to have and include areas like bullet wounds, in case you end up in some third world environment and (hopefully not ) require it.

gravelmonkey

Feb 11, 2013
UK
I attended a FAAW course focused on paediatrics and a 2 day wilderness first aid course, about 6 and 3 years ago respectively.

The FAAW course good, the instructor was quick to admit it was 'carpet first aid' but ANY first aid experiance is better than none. The wilderness course was exceptionally good, and included managing accidents and triage. The thing that surprised me most was how difficult everything becomes once you get outdoors- eg. putting someone in the recovery position on a slope!

Re. sutures- are Steri-strips an acceptable substitute? I have sutures in my FAK but mainly for fixing kit- I would dread to use them with my grimey leatherman! :yuck:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...Re. sutures- are Steri-strips an acceptable substitute? I have sutures in my FAK but mainly for fixing kit- I would dread to use them with my grimey leatherman! :yuck:

Yes, probably. But in my experience they leave the wound beneath somewhat soggy, so they're best removed as soon as they reasonably can be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE