Hats! what's on your head?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Baseball cap is perfect for spec wearers in the rain, keeps your glasses dry and also great in the summer to cut down sun glare. Flat cap around town, beanie type hat in winter and sometimes an army 'jungle' type hat.

Contrary to Red's somewhat irrational hatred of baseball caps, not all users are wannabe boyz from da hood and wear hoodie tops.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
If it's raining or snowing then it's a leather Aussie type hat.
If it's hot & sunny, then it will be a leather Aussie type hat
& if not, it will be a different leather Aussie type hat.

What else ? :D

[QUOTE and yes I agree the Rambo jokes get tiresome :D[/QUOTE]

so do the ""moses/gandalf/ local mountain god"" jokes about my LITTLE walking stick FORREST, the ""crocodile dundee"" jokes about my knife(even though it's MUCH smaller...) or my pruning saw mistaken for my knife and the annoying ""you walk BAREFOOT?!"" comments here in korea.... :rant:

to get back to the topic: my headbands are simple homemade jobs using a strip of cotton towel. apart from keeping sweat out of my face i occasionally stick small items into them(as tucking a pencil behind my ear(carpenter-style) does not work for me); and once i tied it lower around my face to protect my nose from frostbite....

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I did consider a tilley hat but I felt a bit like a dork in the camping shop when I tried it on..

I'll have a nose on that site and see if any are suitable for me.

Also, I'm too young for a flat cap, live in too much of a ghetto for a wide brimmed hat like the Tilley and don't really like wooly type hats.. :D

I know the feeling, me too, Just to Cowboy looking and feels out of place here and especially on me

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I know the feeling, me too, Just to Cowboy looking and feels out of place here and especially on me

LOL. I don't especially care for Tilley hats. But they're a looooong way from "cowboy looking." Actually that's one of the reasons why I really don't like them. That and they're way overpriced; I can get a cloth beach hat that's basicly a Tilley clone at any beach shop for $10 or so here.

Last edited:

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
My "go to" hat is a Suede Aussie stockman's hat. But I have beanies and/or Buff's stashed in the car/coat/bag/hallway/desk drawer/trouser pockets and probably in a few other locations as well.
Since my natural thatching has thinned to almost nothing I now have an aversion to having rain or, more rarely, sun hit my head directly so I never get caught out these days.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Tried on a few flap caps in a camping shop and looked like a right plonker! hehe

There were Tilley hats in too, they looked alright but again I can imagine I'd look stupid with one on..

I will try and find a suitable baseball cap, one that doesn't look too G'!

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
I did consider a tilley hat but I felt a bit like a dork in the camping shop when I tried it on..

I'll have a nose on that site and see if any are suitable for me.

Also, I'm too young for a flat cap, live in too much of a ghetto for a wide brimmed hat like the Tilley and don't really like wooly type hats.. :D

Your never too young for a flatcap, i pretty much live in mine!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got a t5 organic cotton Tilley recently. Years of fear that it'd make me look a dork or just middle aged. They make sense in hot sun so I got one. best thing for years. got it because cap got lost. A cap has been worn sun and resin outdoors for years. I remember fearing they'd make me look a dork too. That's one thing you realize, the right hat only makes you feel dork for a while then you get used to it.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Wore a flat cap in winter as a kid. Bought for £7 and proper Harris tweed. Got it at a point to point. A great hat. it resisted wind rain snow and anything else too. I grew out off it and sister got it. Wasn't one of the modern ones at all, you know the ones with a dome head bit and a peak sticking out of it. Mine was farmer/gamekeeper style where it went b straight from top of head to peak without the dip like modern kangol type caps.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Tilley T3 :)
I only ever bought one - but I have worn 5 of them out :)
The Lifetime guarantee is for real and has made the Tilley the cheapest hat I ever bought!

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Possum Fur and Merino Wool Beanie Hat - Moss (£20)

ZpD1PRn.png

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE