Has anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
Gorse and more so Gorse root are fantastic carving and turning woods often with a beautiful range of colours ranging through black, dark brown, bright red, orange ,purple and green. Pen turners love it seasoned and dry, but at that stage it can be impossible to get a knife into.It
Look out for farmers pulling out long lines of it and you will often get it wide enough for spoons.
Have fun
John

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The first lovespoon i ever carved was gorse. It was a very little spoon with a tooled finish to the bowl.

[love is in season when the gorse flowers]

DSC00235-2.jpg

the wood was well seasoned which made it very hard. Gorse has quite a prononced twist in the grain.

Last edited:

macem

May 20, 2009
south wales
Well, went out and found some gorse, only a small branch managed to carve two small spoon like object's.

The gorse carved ok but as xylaria said it has a twist in the grain, and as the spoon's dried out they distorted and on the larger of the two spoon's the area by the bowl split.

The colour is like a creamy ice cream with chocolate streak's and a tiny hint of strawberry ( can you tell i'm on a diet ).

All in all i think i'll give it another go in the future, i did take photo's but due to the rain i think i owe my wife a new camara cos it stopped working half way up the mountain.

Thank's all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE