Has Anyone Waxed a Canvas Pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I've got a Duluth pack that I want to wax. I've put Greenland wax on clothing to make it showerproof, but I want the pack to be thoroughly impregnated the canvas with the wax to make it completely waterproof, and that would take forever with Greenland wax.

Has anyone tried Barbour thornproof dressing? As you melt it first, I'm hoping that it would only take one application to be properly soaked into the canvas.

Cheers, Michael.

techworm

Forager
Aug 18, 2006
lancashire
i am just about to do the same thing using this guide
[video=youtube;4BAHx0KBpT4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BAHx0KBpT4[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Before you go to the trouble, even a waxed canvas pack won't be fully waterproof and it will sweat your back quite a bit more than unwaxed canvas. My prefference is for a waterproof rucksack cover over canvas when it starts tk really come down.

If you still want to wax it, try applying sno-seal with a heath gun or hairdryer.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I've used Barbour Thornproof on a canvas Serbian / Yugoslavian small pack. It certainly went on well enough, just standing the tin in a pan of hot water and rubbing the dressing on with a bit of old cotton sheet. I then went over it with a hairdryer to melt in any lumps and get an even covering. Looks good, but I'm not sure it's made it 100% waterproof - I would doubt it. I use liners in packs anyway.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Id forget barbour thornproof. Ive waxed my tilley hat with that stuff a lot, and a duluth pack, it dosnt last long. make your own. Thats works. 1 part parafin beads [wax] 3 parts pure beeswax, in a bain marie, like you melt chocolate. Just make sure parafin has no stearin in it.

you can actually brush it on in its wet state straight from the bowl, then use a heat gun to spread it out a bit.

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
I recently waxed a Telemark pack and have done loads of Barbour coats and hats with thorn proof dressing. Melt it in a bain marie and lash it on liberally. When you heat it with a hair dryer or heat gun it glistens and then disappears into the cloth.

If you do it a couple of times it will make the fabric completely waterproof. However, it doesn't last long and you'll need to keep it up regularly.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Agree with Hibrion here. Though i'd use some drybags instead of a rain cover. Just feels more secure to me, and will be lost a lot less easy.

Leone_blanco

Apr 21, 2016
Halifax
I recently relaxed a Barbour jacket but being a bloke and not having a hair dryer proved to be to my detriment. It is patchy and to be honest the small tin of thornproof just isn't enough.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
The small tin (shoe-polish size) of Barbours is only for touch-ups I think. I always buy the larger cans that look like cans of boiled sweets.
Sometimes the lack of proper heat when spreading it out, means it comes on too thick and you use upp more wax than you really want to.

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
Yes, using Barbour Thornproof. I frankly don't think it was meant to be waterproof in the first place. The bag ended up weighing a ridiculous amount lol. But it came out waterproof in the end. Did it on a sunny day in the garden and hung it up on the laundry line with a black bin liner over it to help even everything out. Same thing I do for Barbour jackets.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE