Has anyone made up a bushcraft cookbook?

I am thinking recipes and photos of lets say kabobs on green sticks cooking bacon on sticks/pot hanger over the fire cooking salmon the west coast Indian way around a fire pit cooking that kind of thing would anyone be interested in doing a thread and then putting them in like a pdf file think it would be interesting to many bushcrafters.....

unless their already is something like that kicking around here!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you can cook it at home you can cook it camping; that said Bill, seeing some of the crap others have cooked a few hints and idea's may be a good idea.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I can't remember the name of the top of my head, but theres a guy in cornwall who runs an outdoor cooking class, and has done for like 40 odd years, and hes got a few books on this topic using purely outdoor foods, no salt flour or spices, just field picked.
I don't have it though so can't recommend it, but it's by a professor or doctor or something like that.

Theres a link to it somewhere through PFAF.com/co.uk
might be tricky to track down though
sorry I can't help more

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I learnt cooking from "Roughing It Easy". There is a new book called "Fork in the Trail: Mouthwatering Meals and Delectable Delights for the Backcountry" (Laurie Ann March) that is supposed to be good, but I have never seen it.

But as others have said, at least 95% of everything you can cook at home you can cook in the field.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I am sure you can but the way its cooked in the field is what I am after like cooking eggs in the embers that kind of thing cooking with a pot sure and more without a pot to make it more interesting/fun when bushcraft cooking

Roughing It Easy is full of that kind of things. As to one pot meals, just look in your cookbooks at home, and adapt as suitable (e.g. adding some water to a pasta sause and then adding the pasta towards the end). Risottos are nice and doable, as is goulash with either fresh meat, dried and more-or-less reconstituted meat or even dried mince (goulash with dried mince, deied potatoes and dried onions, using finely chopped dried tomatoes, is not bad at all.

Most of the recipies in my favourite cookbook (http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/8102) works with one pot over a fire.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
A lot of the books have recipes in them.

It depends what you want to make, and what sort of kit you have with you.

The Youtube bloke wilderness outfitter, makes these awful looking pancake pudding things.

On the other hand his rice idea, he adds stock cubes to it, is interesting, but then again he does hunt.

What might be a good idea is to come up with a list of ten basics, and see what different recipes we can make. Also you are allowed to add one thing, so if you pick fruit on the trail, or what protein like.

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
A few years ago I bought a book called "Campcraft Cooking" which was aimed at Scouts. I got it from the local Scout shop (when I lived in Newport, South Wales). It has some good recipes, but I was never very adventorous with food, unlike now!
If I can find it, I'll scan it and (try) to create a PDF file....it was little more than a leaflet with only 20 or so pages.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE