Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
028.jpg

50p at the car boot

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a blast from the past :D

It's a Gaz reflector heater. We used to get paraffin ones shaped a bit like that too.
Dangerous as a very dangerous thing unless sited 'very' carefully. My brother still has scars on one leg from the guard bars of one that toppled :sigh:

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Speak to Ian (Bilmo P5) or Richard (Rik UK3) about it.

I think they need care, and I think they need forethought before setting it in place, and how you'll move around near it. That apart, there were a lot of them made, we used to use them in the big Niger tents in Winter, but I know of people other than my brother who came a cropper with them too.

Don't know if it's the correct name, but we called them parabolic heaters, which rapidly became known as the Diabolic Heaters.

atb,
Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh that I don't know. I think Richard or Ian might well know an awful lot more about that one than I do, or know where to look to find out.

M

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I've still got one. Gas catridges are still available for them but they don't give out much heat.
I wouldn't use them in a sealed tent for fear of carbon monoxide poisoning.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
They serve a purpose, use in a ventilated area otherwise :stretcher:

Gaz bottles can be sourced if you contact your local camping shop for advice.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
They're ok, I have a couple of similar Camping Gaz models. They are handy in medium sized tents at this time of year (Spring) for taking the chill off. As has been said they need ventilation but that shouldn't stop you from having a warm tent. As has also been said they do get hot so require a bit of space.
Yours looks like a screw-on arrangement but I cant say for certain without seeing what's under the blue cap on the cartridges. If in doubt take the cart. to your local gas supplier.
A full 250g cart. will give you about 8 hrs on full burn

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
I had one years ago, as already said ok for giving out modest amount of heat. they are very quick to topple over so safe placement important! The canisters still available but more likely in olde worlde camping store or hardware shop.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I had one years ago, as already said ok for giving out modest amount of heat. they are very quick to topple over so safe placement important! The canisters still available but more likely in olde worlde camping store or hardware shop.

I have larger one on a medium size refillable gas bottle and they are great.

The small ones are unstable and imho a death trap. I would bin it having sledged it beforehand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE