Has Anybody lived on a van or bus ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Hi ,
What with one thing and another i could well be in a situation where i may have to live in a bus . Now i despise your average travelers that leave piles of rubbish and fecies on the sites they have used .
I was wondering if anyone on here had done this long term . If so what problems did you have and are there any hints or tips you may have ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've lived in an old bus in Australia, but that's a rather different prospect... Plus, it was at least under a roof.

The big problems in the UK are usually waterproofness (if we're talking a knackered old bus), temperature regulation, and damp. Because they don't have any real thermal mass, but they do have a lot of windows, they get very hot when it's hot, and very cold when it's cold, and nearly all the surfaces are prone to condensation.

Having said that, if you can heat and ventilate the thing adequately, there's no reason why not. It's just a shack on wheels. :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you do get a bus and consider putting a fuel/gas heater in, ensure the flueing is up to standard and fit some CO detectors. I saw a picture of a flue that came from an old camper van that was really badly corroded and the occupants had been complaining of headaches, nausea and drowsiness, sure signs of CO poisoning!

xylaria

I have never lived on bus.
But nephews dad does, and so does my nephews half siblings. My nephews dad has a phd in boimass technology and they strongly believe in leaving nature as you find.
I know he uses woodburning stoves because he builds them. As far as I know it also uncommon to have any form of toilet in a dwelling. I was told by one of his kids that going toilet near where you cook and sleep is "manky"

I far as know the biggest single problem is the law. I cant have my home repossesed without notice, broken into without warrent by the police, but travellers do. My sister will have more infomation, I'll be ringing her tonight. Most new age travellers are very happy to help people intergrate. With any community you get scrotes, but most travellers I have met have been very pleasant people i share alot ideals with.

If you need someone talk to please feel free to pm

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
pumbaa said:
Hi ,
What with one thing and another i could well be in a situation where i may have to live in a bus . Now i despise your average travelers that leave piles of rubbish and fecies on the sites they have used .
I was wondering if anyone on here had done this long term . If so what problems did you have and are there any hints or tips you may have ?
Cheers
Pumbaa
Pumbaa,
I can't help you from personal experience, but I know it can be done. A guy lived in a single deck bus on the Ardnamurchan penninsula for over 10 years. He got permission to pull the bus into an old section of bypassed road. He was surrounded by oak and birch woodland and could literally throw a stone into the sea. I gave him a lift to the pub to pick up his dogs food one time and he said he was having a great time. So it can be done successfully. :)

Not a bus but I lived in an old caravan with no power or heating for a year and half through two winters (one the winter of 98 the cold one).

Your biggest problem is going to be heat without condensation
Insulation
Dampness
Mould on your clothes/books...
Keeping food safe/edible

Bubble wrap is an amazing cheap insulator but not breathable

I cooked on a swedish army trianga for all my meals and hot drinks and did nearly all my cooking under the trees to avoid condensation in the van. When boiling water I used the spare to top up a flask so I always had hot water.

For a shower I used a solar shower but in the winter it was warmer just wiping down with warm cloths. I washed my hair with cold water and just got used to it, even in winter. It's not comfertable but it saved a lot of hassle.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I'm in the process of converting an LDV 400 to a motorhome/live aboard at the moment. One of these
newvan.jpg

It's an ex parcel force van I've picked up. It's ply lined and insulated with rockwool and I'm cladding it on the sides with pine for added insulation. The roof is insulated also and ply lined ready for some lightweight UPVC cladding. It will have both 12v and 240v power plus generator backup. We've got a caravan kitchen unit to fit and are building a wet room/loo compartment with a cassette portaloo and vanity unit. Heating will be by woodburner similar to the ones from windy smithy
burner05.jpg
Ours was made by a guy in Bury Lancs (details on request) for £90. We have a 100 ltr fresh water tank under the bus and we are keeping it a simple cold water system with a 12v pump (we can heat water on the hob or woodburner) All in all we're really looking forward to completing the "Bushcraft Battle Bus" (It's going to end up Olive green & Black)

Hope this has given some insight

Dave

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi pumbaa.

I lived in a Morris van for a while.
I was advised to paint the roof white in the summer and black in the winter. At night I threw a tarp over the top to stop condensation drips. I had no 8 wire twisted to hold candles and cooked on my faithful Trangia. I made a 'comet' (see v early post on this) and placed this on a paving slab in the passenger footwell and used a piece of vacuum cleaner pipe to make a chimney and this poked out through the quarterlight (remember those?) I was warm and cosy all through one snowy winter. It was only me to look after.

I feel that living like this is a lifestyle and it is very difficult to be part of normal society this way. You will either enjoy or hate I do not think that there is a middle way.

Can't really comment on the long term as this was all part of a year off from 'normal' life when I was in my 30's.

There are still places in this country where you can live like this but you have to find them. Being on social is certainly not easy but it may enable you to scrape by. I know you have children and this may be very difficult for them.

We have some friends who live under felt in their own piece of forest up on the Borders. They are educating their children at home, make their own clothes and grow a lot of their own food. It is a hard life but it is of their choosing. That is really important.

Good luck with this from Swyn.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've had the fortune (good or bad I don't know) to have had to live in an unelectrified caravan for work for the past five years. Admittedly it was only for short periods of up to ten days at a time but all the points that have been mentioned so far are the main things I found. I had gas and parafin heating - both really good but cause lots of condensation. I wish I had found a good woodstove like Maddave showed, I think it would have saved a lot of misery, dry heat is a godsend. I tried having a generator for a while - but it was a noisey affair considering the amount of entertainment available from a B&W portable TV. I did as much of my ablutions as I could in work, but had the facility for them on board, solar shower and chemical toilet etc. Cooker was a two ring propane thing and the gas lasts for ages on it. I've only got another few months to go before being made redundant, but I can't say I'll be sorry to leave the caravan.
As to words of advice - summers are great if you can get cool/dark/quiet enough to sleep well. Winter is another story - take every opportunity to dry your bedding and clothing - visit friends & family for this - hey even give me a call, I understand your plight and I'll help if I can. Get a good portable radio - theres always something on to keep your mind occupied.
Anything I can help with, just shout.

ATB

Ogri the trog

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Jon Pickett said:
You sure you didn't get that off postman Pat, Dave.....
Well I didn't find any black & white cat hairs in there...But ya never know LOL The red is a bit OTT, Can't wait to get her sprayed up in good old british olive green :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
maddave said:
Well I didn't find any black & white cat hairs in there...But ya never know LOL The red is a bit OTT, Can't wait to get her sprayed up in good old british olive green :D
I bet.....I am currently doing out the back of my work landrover 110 into a camper and am wondering about water tanks, where did you get yours from Dave....?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not sure about UK, but in Germany if you convert a vehicle to a camping vehicle, it reduces your insurance. Might be worth checking that out, but saying that, gas may bump it up again!!

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Without a few more details/guidelines it's hard to come up with any specifics, though some of the ideas on this thread might be applicable to your potential situation.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=13046

What sort of size van/bus are you thinking, small van, minibus, 7.5ton, double decker?
If you think your going to have a flame inside your probably best getting a deisel and not having to worry about possible explosive vapours building up.

An idea of budget ( ontop of the van/bus costs ) might help too, ball park figures like £50 or £500 would give an idea, also how handy you are at things, woodwork/metalwork/electrics/plumbing, would all help people tailor their advice to your situation.

If your going to be on private land and the owners don't mind a few people pitching tents for a weekend you might find that some of the more skilled/helpful people on the forum might be willing to pop along for a day weekend and help you with some of the things you find dificult.

Think about anything you might already have that could be reused, eg carpets for lining floor, walls ceiling, heavy curtains for doors, windows or partitioning into smaller spaces eg a sleep space. 2 layers of heavy curtains an inch or 2 apart that can be drawn back out the way can make an awful lot of difference on cold windy nights while taking up little room.
polysterene tiles ( not near flames or sparks ) any tarps, sleeping bags, mats would of course prove usefull as might keeping a chair or 2.

If your going to have the floor space, a 2 person pop up tent on a layer of wood and a couple of carpet ( or even cardboard ) can make quite a cosy inner sleeping chamber in winter and easily stowed when not in use.

A few ideas, that are worth thinking about even if you've a reasonable amount in the budget ) but certainly if you've very little.

Water : Carrying 2 ( or even 4 ) 2 litre plastic drinks bottles around, to be filled at any opportunity, can make quite an impact on your fresh water supply for cooking, drinking, basic hygenie and washing up, even if you have a 100lt tank onboard.
If you've got daily access to alternative fresh water heating ( eg work ) a 1 or 2 1lt themos flasks are worth thinking about, topping up with hot water just before hometime and keeping any hot water you've heated and not used.

Toilet : Use pulic ones whenever possible, keeping a dedicated sealable 1 or 2 gallon unrine container onboard and emptying it into public toilets can make things a lot easier, especially on long dark cold weekends, not only does it save your tiolet facilites but it saves loosing any built up heat inside by opening doors going in and out.

Clothing and cleaning your clothes might take some consideration, even if you have access to someone washing machine every couple of weeks, a few of sets of lightweight quick drying underclothes might well be worth investing in. Same principle with a easy wash/dry layer for the bedding that's next your body. Both these can be easily/discretely washed in any sink with hot water supply and small things like that can be as much about keeping up longer term morale as they are hygeine.

pataviking

Feb 21, 2007
ozarks, U S A
if you consider a toilet look into self contained composting ones might be the thing you need. don' know about urinating in it but as for other business it kinda cooks it down turns it ash like, throw it in the proper place the ash stuff is in a tray, dump the tray i have seen ads in some magizines like mother earth news and some other mags. you might google it. it could be useful cause it doesn't need a water source. Pat

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Thanks for the replys . I have been having a bit of a panic money wise , not sure i will be able to keep this place on . For round here i need to be earning a wage and a half , which is next to impossible. Although i am certain my mother wont be happy , a bus /large van is one of the options . Not sure what i will be able to put into it financialy , depends what i can flog on from round here . It would be just me and the girls living in it . I have no land to park on yet , so i would anticipate a lot of " moving on" . Not ideal but i may have to do it yet.
Pumbaa

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have semi converted my Peugot Boxer Van - good van c**p gearbox! - and insulated it with old foam camping mats glued to the walls and roof. these are then covered with 4mm ply which is in turn covered with carpet (skip quality) which is covered in a synthetic fabric - the cheapest I could find on our local market stall - cammo!. In places where there is a gap between foam and ply I have fitted 'donuts' of pipe insulation to avoid vibration looosening the foam. The fabric is to blend all the different carpet samples into one pattern, and is synthetic to avoid rot!
The wheel arches are covered with storage boxes that double as benches and supports for a folding and removable double bed made from ply and I have fitted a drop-down table and a ply "wall" to half hight behind the seats.
I use this "Kammo Kamper" van as everyday transport, a weeklong home from home and as a "fully padded" removals van......
The insulation adds to the warmth and quiet in the van and also to the fuel costs.....!
I have not lived in it for long periods at a time but have been very comfortable in it winter (-10) and summer, cooking on a trangia in the back and using a water bag hung on a carabiner from fitted straps.
Toilet facilities rely on poly bags and sealable bottles - and public loos.
Hope this helps
John

StigOfTheDump

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2007
Galloway
On the up side, you can sleep in some incredible settings with owls hooting you too sleep, and you can wake up to amazing views, and when you get bored, you can move.

I think its best to operate on one of two parking startegys if you live in a bus, either team up with other people on the road, and live on a site, or stay by yourself and move around alot.

Personally id do the latter, not that i have anything against new age travelers, its just that travellers sites are magnets for idiots in my experience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE