Harvesting willow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I pollarded some willows two years and after checking them today they seem good for harvesting the withies.

I've done some research and can't really find anything out.

I read that they are usually harvested in winter, which means now? Would it not be better to wait till spring and debark them for cordage and still have the withies?

Also what is the correct method for ensuring they grow back? Do I cut them flush or just cut em?

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Only bushcrafters really want the bark for cordage. Most folks want the willow for basket rods.
There's a lot to what you say though, but it's a very short window of opportunity between the sap rising, and making it easy to strip off long lengths of good bark, and the buds breaking through and creating loads of wee holes in those strips. Similarly, for the basketmakers, they want clean rods, not knobbly ones, so they cut while the willow is dormant and not sticky with sap or ridged with buds.

Cut the rods hard back close to the stool, and while you're at it tidy up any dead ones and straggly ones too. Leave it all neat and tidy to come away in Spring.

cheers,
Toddy

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Thanks toddy.

These willows I have have buds on them and some have started firing off side shoots but I only want these for personal baskets, the baskets I make to sell is from willow that comes from Somerset as they are nicer varietys of a more standard size.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You might be surprised how regular the rods become from well coppiced stools though.

If any of the willows you get from Somerset are of a particular variety that you would like, and they're not 'too' old, it can be worth soaking bits of them and pushing an end into damp ground. (right way up for the sap) I've had willows root like that from just trimmings brushed off a path onto a flowerbed; and I know one site that was supposed to be a community resouce that the council brush cut and just left the cuttings lie between the stools. It's a total mess now, half of those prunings sprouted.

cheers,
Toddy

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Aye, I've gt a book about Scottish native trees that gives info on growing trees etc, in spring im going to plant some cuttings and hopefully get some nice trees.The trees I pollarded, I cut them 3ft off the ground so its be easier to cut the withies are of a strange variety, one of the 395 types of willow im unfamiliar with lol but i can wrap the withies round my fist so they are good.I've gt 15 treeswith loads of withies to cut, plus if i can plant some more I'll not need to buy willow from Somerset, which is wired because i can buy willow from Somerset cheaper than it would cost in terms of hours to harvest it myself.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those stools are quite high. Usually they're cut lower than your knee. If it works for you though.

It's back to this time thing again. To do this properly, for yourself, from scratch, takes time, and it's year in year out time.
If transport weren't so cheap I think there'd be a lot more growing done nearer home :)

What kind of trees are you after ? I live surrounded by woodlands, and they seed into my garden. If I don't weed them out I wouldn't be able to move in a year or so.

cheers,
M

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
When I cut them I wasn't 100% sure on the best method and I have a slightly bad back so thought its be best so I didn't have to bend over as much.I'm not sure what variety I buy but its in nice 7 ft lenghs and is native, the stuff I've got is 5ft and not native but I suppose our ancestors would have used what they had locally.I only pollarded them a few years ago so hopefully if I manage it well they'll outlast me

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The oldest basketry that we have from Europe is a fish trap, and it was woven from privet :) so you're quite right. Every area is different, but the sheer variety of materials that we can use for cordage and basketry is astonishing :D

cheers,
M

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I've not tried prive but I have a hedge trimmer and see a hedge needing cut I'll do it for free if I can keep the cuttings, I offer to do a lot of gardens if I can keep the nettles, willowherb, bramble etc folk think im mad.

It doesnts as much matter you know plants as knowing properties, I've found loads of plants that make great cordage but have no clue what they are., I like making " primitive stuff" but im sure our ancestors would have used whatever had the right properties without mincing about.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think to a large part they knew what grew where, iimmc, and when too. Or at least knew where to look in expectation of finding.
They grew up with the seasonal round so firmly embedded in their psyches that like the seasons for outside games for us, there were seasons for whatever was needed.

cheers,
M

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
If you want the willow for hurdle making, now's the time before the sap rises as it then gets too brittle. Either cut it low or, if you prefer, at three feet up which will make harvesting in a couple of years just that bit easier. Once cut, if the withies are left for a fortnight they become more supple, especially given a 24 hour soak.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Aye, I agree.

What I meant was that they wouldn't not use a plant just because they were unfamiliar with it, like my willow, I know basically nothing about it but I know I can weave baskets from it.

Our ancestors who travelled would need to understand properties more than anything surely. Unlike now the idea of native and non native propbably didn't matter, who cares where it came from kind of thing.

So if i harvest a non native species from near me and make a basket from it, its a local basket? Modern logic would say its not as the materialsnot native,im sureour ancestors wouldn't have given a flying lol

Though id as stated I previous post prefer t use native species

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE