Harvesting Walnuts

stinkymilo

Mar 13, 2006
Wiltshire
Ahh like my grandad used to say " A woman, a dog, a walnut tree, the more you beat them the better they be!"
No I dea what he meant by that but keep a close eye on them as I bet someone else is waiting for the right time to pick them too. Good luck.

ATB

Stinky

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Wait for the outer skins to start cracking, then you know they are ready. Giving a smaller tree will bring some down, but with a big tree pushing will not work so well ;) Wait until a good wind/ storm and get there quick :)

If possible cut the grass underneath or place a tarpulin under to catch them or they will disappear in long grass.

Don't throw sticks and stuff up as you just damage the tree.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Thanks for advice I will have to be up early as they are fairly public it is the first year they have bore fruit to my knowledge, hopefully the dog walkers do not recognise the trees

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
stinkymilo said:
Ahh like my grandad used to say " A woman, a dog, a walnut tree, the more you beat them the better they be!"
No I dea what he meant by that but keep a close eye on them as I bet someone else is waiting for the right time to pick them too. Good luck.

ATB

Stinky
your right someone will get them and it will probably be the squirells they often climb up my nans walnut tree and help them selves
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE