Harpoon heads

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Porky

Aug 18, 2015
South Wales
I've been looking at harpoon heads to put in a survival kit and haven't managed to find the separate so thought I'd make my own.
They are made out of a straight bracket plate, with the grinder to get the shape and angle grinder to put the grooves in, just have to sharpen it now.

Unfortunately I can't post pictures for some reason, if anyone knows how I can do this I'm all ears.
Cheers
Taff

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Like Mesquite says, sounds interesting. Is it fishing harpoons that you're making or for something larger?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
You need to upload the pics to a photo site like Picassa then right click on the pic on the Picassa site and copy the url which you then paste into your post here by clicking on the third icon from the right in the reply box.
If you are already doing that then ignore my post as I then have no idea why it is a problem, not being a techy bloke.
Hope you get it sorted sounds like a neat project.:)

Rob.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'd like to see the pix when you can get them loaded. meanwhile, if you're still interested in finding them separate to buy (I assume you mean just the head alone) then try gooling "gig' or "gigis" rather than "harpoon" I found this frog gig on Amazon. Loads of sizes and cheap prices.

[h=2]South Bend Frog Spear[/h]by South Bend

$2.56 - $10.76
Some sizes are Prime eligible

More Buying Choices
$3.99new(11 offers)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
santaman: we must translate.

Hunting such things as bullfrogs is caller "frog-gigging." The spear head, for some reason, is called a "gig".
The spear head is entirely adequate for fish-spearing but I'd go for only 2 or 3 points, spear-gun style.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
santaman: we must translate.

Hunting such things as bullfrogs is caller "frog-gigging." The spear head, for some reason, is called a "gig".
The spear head is entirely adequate for fish-spearing but I'd go for only 2 or 3 points, spear-gun style.

Yeah, we've discussed that on here before. And yep, smaller ones less than a couple of inches across are used for frogs while larger ones are very common here for gigging flounder.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Here's another source of examples:
The University of British Columbia/Museum of Anthropology has a collection of 40,000+ artifacts that you can search online.
When you get into it, select the alphabet letter and look at "spear", "harpoon", "harpoon head".
Hover your mouse pointer over the right-hand arrowhead in the lower right corner to scroll, move away to stop.

Google this: UBC/MOA and you're there!

Porky

Aug 18, 2015
South Wales
The harpoon head I've done is similar to the one you get with the Aitor JKII survival knife, sorry but I'm not having luck with the photos, I'm not a tech person, I hope it will be worth the wait. I'm on an iPhone if that helps.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The harpoon head I've done is similar to the one you get with the Aitor JKII survival knife, sorry but I'm not having luck with the photos, I'm not a tech person, I hope it will be worth the wait. I'm on an iPhone if that helps.

Like one of the 2 at the bottom of this picture?

aitorjk16.jpg

Porky

Aug 18, 2015
South Wales
I'll like that TeeDee, I nice little add to a survival kit, I bought 4 bracket plates for 99p so nice and cheap, thanks for all the websites tho guys.

Porky

Aug 18, 2015
South Wales
That's the ones Mesquite, just like the bottom two, any one got an email address I can send the photos too and they can post them for me?

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Hopefully someone will be making a bronze tripod for me but I have a fishing spear/gig qith 5 tines. Not used it yet but it goes with our hunting/fishing demo kit. As to a survival kit one could whittle the tines from wood to make a quite efficient harpoon head.

One can even make a fish spear by splitting the ends of a wooden rod, wedging the tines to splay out and carving barbs leaving a shorter central spike if desired.

https://www.hedgehogleatherworks.com/How-to-Make-a-Fishing-Spear-s/71.htm

Last edited:

Porky

Aug 18, 2015
South Wales
Thanks for putting pics on.
Still need to introduce it to the stone to finish it off but you get the idea now.
Cheers
Porky

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE