Hare?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi all - got myself a hare last night.

Never had it before so I cooked up the offal and a leg immediately to see what it taste like.

Now I've most of the meat left but I have no idea what to do with it. The meat is very tough!

I think a stew is the way to go. - Any suggestions?

Cheers
Andy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Slow cook or pressure cook with wine garlic onions and mushrooms, add sliced courgette to simmer a few minutes at the end and serve on a bed of rice.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Some bacon, pearl barley, a little ale or red wine and a host of other root vegetable. In a dutch oven and in the oven at 120C for about three or four hours..

One of the nicest I have ever done with hare. Beautiful meat, as with all game, fast and hot or slow and casserole.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't know many people that will take a hare because we don't have many in these parts. I presume they are more abundant elsewhere.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'd try a little tarragon as a suitable herb to go with it.

Not sure on that one, Tarragon the 'Queen of Herbs" whilst generally great with fish and Chicken I think would clash with the strong flavour of Hare. Sage might work but I prefer some dishes herb free hence my suggestion of mushrooms which add an earthy flavour well suited to Hare. Smoked bacon? not really it will suppress the flavour so while ideal with bugs bunny which is pretty much lacking in taste on its own (no fat to speak of), not great with Hare, just MHO.

^&*&&^^& need a blooming hare now :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE