Hare

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I'm not planning to hunt it myself - not yet anyway.
Couple of questions - what are the hare stocks like - can they tolerate the odd bit of eating?
Second, what's it like? I'm a regular to rabbit and most other game ( even puffin once ) but what does it compare to?
Next I have to persuade my butcher to get one in still furred, then if I like it have a few words with him about learning the art of the gate net....

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hi Hare is alike braising steak very tasty done in a nice oniony stew mmmmmmmmmmm yum , my whippet I used to have caught the odd one on some farm land i have permission to work,But long netting is a tried and tested traditional way of catching hare (mine are rotted away in my garage :shock: ) I don't reccomend Jugged Hare, wich is basically hanging the hare till it becomes putrid and maggoty to soften the flesh, gives it a very bitter taste for my liking, but its a fantastic meat the saddle is the best bit as with rabbit stewed with root veg and dumplings makes for an excellent winters meal :super:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Tastes mighty fine, I like jugged hare, jugged, cos its cooked in a juh i believe (probably wrong tho). THe stomach is streched over the top of the jug to stop it drying, then cooked long and slow.
I also like hare stuffed with apricot mmmmm

IMO Stocks are good, I am amazed at the numbers i have seen about. & in one field locally, and out with Buckshot we put 3 or 4 up through one copse.

They are elusive creatures, your average pack of Ramblers are unlikely to come aross one.

Iam still trying to get a decent photo of a hare, just can't get close enough to them - ho hum i'll keep trying.

cheers

Rich

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Roving Rich said:
Iam still trying to get a decent photo of a hare, just can't get close enough to them - ho hum i'll keep trying.
A little story that made me smile because i hadnt noticed how true it was

Q. Whats the difference between a hare and a stone lying in a field?

A. The stone gets bigger as you get closer but a hare gets smaller.

They can be very canny creatures

In my experience tho they can be tough as old boots unless you are very careful to cook em as slow as possible

Tant

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Got quite a few hare 'round our way.
Rabbit population has taken a dive in the last five years or so and generally I find where you've bunnies you ain't got hares, and vice versa.
Biggest worry with hares is it often brings pikeys in their wake running rouge coursing, queue vandalism, threats and thuggery. Sad but true.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
oh and just for fun,

interesting hare fact.....

because of the fact that their front legs are so much shorter than their back legs they really prefer to run uphill

if you are sneaking up one it can give you the advantage of knowing which way it will run

could make the difference between supper or hungry one day

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE