Hard wearing, everyday, trudging through mud boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I live and work in the woods and on building sites and am in boots 99% of the time. So obviously i'm pretty hard on them. For the last 3 years i've been wearing chainsaw boots as they cover all the bases - steel toes, waterproof, high leg...
But my current pair are starting to fall apart and i'm thinking that it doesn't really make sense for me to lug all that weight around when i'm not on the chainsaw.

What i'm looking for is some simple, waterproof, high boots that are going to last a few years of heavy use, regularly trudging through ankle deep mud. I don't want something with a soft lining thats going to start falling apart.

I've looked at the Lundhags Forest and they look about right, but i'm not sure I can stretch to the price (I've never spent that much on an item of clothing before), but I'm still vaguely considering it. I've also looked at William Lennon boots - made in England, traditional leather boots. They are very reasonably priced and by the sounds of it last a lifetime, but i'm not sure if they'll be high or waterproof enough for this time of year.

Any thoughts?
Cheers
Pete

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I seen these on display in Screwfix, impressive looking boot in the flesh so to speak.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hyena-nevis-waterproof-rigger-safety-boots-brown-black-size-10/9983d
hp_sfx_hyena_footwear.png
ae235

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I've been using Screwfix boots and clothes on sites (and the garden and woods) for a good few years now, no complaints about comfort and longevity so far.

:)

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Although I've not worn the screw fix ones myself I do know a couple of land workers that use them and have had no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackdaw

I've been wearing a pair of Muck Boots Spey for about 3 years with no signs of them giving up. The latest equivalent model appears to be the Woody Max.

They are quite expensive but it all depends on how you view it. My mantra (inherited from an old Tp Sgt who used to shout at me) is "You spend most of your time on your feet or in your sleeping bag so spend money there.".

I use them almost every day and I am normally trudging around surveying or shooting and I've never had cold or wet feet since I bought them. They replaced a nice looking pair of Grubs that seemed to leak almost immediately.

Available here: http://www.muckbootcompany.co.uk/product/Mens-Woody-Max-Hunting-Boot-WDM-MOBU/MOUTSPO

Jack

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
A good pair of rigger boots should suit well, try any discount footwear shops to get them cheap. Sports Direct sell Dunlop branded ones for about £20.

Tonyuk

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I have a couple pairs of the Swedish m59 boot. Very robust, very comfy, have to be seen to be appreciated, the quality of these for the price is outstanding.
Got mine for £9.99 from mm. Never leaked. A size 9 has room for sock/liner layering too. Can't comment on other sizes, but assume that other sizes also have room for it.

2f03a134ec84040ea0ce954daf96c570.jpg

Doing a quick search, you can get brown all leather versions on fleabay for £27. But they are without the rubber rand. :)

05b7a3bd379733a9b3a1d48a541e4dcf.jpg

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Thanks for the replies. Some good ideas there.

I've just ordered a pair of m59 boots with the rubber foot. Managed to find a pair on ebay for £12.99! Definately worth a try. Thanks quietone

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Thanks for the replies. Some good ideas there.

I've just ordered a pair of m59 boots with the rubber foot. Managed to find a pair on ebay for £12.99! Definately worth a try. Thanks quietone

You're welcome. Hope you get on with them as well as I have. :)

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
I'm still on a pair of Lowa super camps I bought back in 2009 around £140ish they are starting to leak through now but I have hammered them and with wool socks the small amount of water does not really matter. A heavy but durable boot I have used them in the desserts of Afghan to Arctic Norway and still use them on my local Fells, local spruce bogs and marsh land.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE