Happy New Year from across the pond

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Best wishes for a healthy, happy and prosperous 2019 to you all.
Expect to belly up to the Pacific Northwest trough for a cheese fondue this evening.
We're -8 UTC so 730PM now.

Is 2019 OK? You all got there ahead of us.

Reactions: zornt

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
2019 will be interesting in UK and overseas territories.......
Just came home from a nice meal, and watching the fireworks, imbibing some bubbly on seven mile beach with a couple of friends, a fellow Scandihooligan and his wife.

2018 was a good year, we hope 2019 will be the same!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What village businesses we have are staffed to capacity.
There's no serious business growth or development on the horizon.
I need both hands to count people that I know who could use a serious break ( aka a job).
Support services can only go so far. Selling their clothes for the rent?????

I, for one, sure as hell hope that 2019 has some luster and shine to it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Happy New year to all !

Sorry to be late but I'm having computer difficulties (my own computer is dead and I'm limited to the library's until I can shop for a new one)

As usual, I did the cooking for the family's New Year's day dinner. We had the traditional good luck fare:
Black-eyed peas
Collard greens
Hog jowl

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes, I eat that!
Prefer Beef Tongue before Pork Tongue though.
Medical education turned me off some cuts. Pork Tongue, Liver and kidneys. To human like.
Yes, but hog jowl is the traditional good lunch meat for the New Year. Besides, it's mostly identical to bacon.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The Musculus Masseter ( the correct, Latin name for it) is an excellent, tasty piece of meat on most animals, including fish.

It has to do with how it is used. Hard worked ( eating) for a short time, then a long period of rest.

Do you traditionally prepare it is a specific way? The Pig cheek?

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The Musculus Masseter ( the correct, Latin name for it) is an excellent, tasty piece of meat on most animals, including fish.

It has to do with how it is used. Hard worked ( eating) for a short time, then a long period of rest.

Do you traditionally prepare it is a specific way? The Pig cheek?
Every family has its own preference (the whole tradition is restricted to the Southern states) My grandmother used to slice it like bacon and boil it in the other two foods (black-eyed peas and collard greens) It gave flavor to those and could be pulled out and eaten. I prefer to dice those slices and fry them crisp first. I'll also jus fry a few slices separately to eat on their own.

The basic tradition/superstition is:
-Greens (collards, turnips, kale, cabbage, etc) for financial prosperity (green is the color of money)
-Hog jowl for general prosperity (fat meat symbolizing both having meat and living off the fat of the land)
-Blackeyed peas for general good luck (always food available even for the poor)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry for editing after you replied. I was working on it as you did. We can and do grow collards (and most greens) here.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
If you grow veg yourself, and like Spinach, you should try Callaloo. Can you get seeds? If no, I can send you some.
Google it, it is a nice vigorous plant.

You should grow your bananas too, if you have space. There is a fab shop down outside Miami called GoingBananas that has suitable varieties. They do send.

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE