Hanging rope (for hammocks of course)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
I'm looking to replace the cordage on the DD front line with something with a bit less bulk, give and weight.

I know amsteel is often suggested but I hear it doesn't hold knots too well!

I was looking at the 3 or 4 mm edelrid chord from the cotswold outdoor website

Has anyone tried these. What would you go for?

3mm cord

2.4kn breaking strength
6g/m
60p/m
4mm cord
4.1kn breaking strength
10g/m
70p/m

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Nothing wrong with Amsteel, I've put whoopie's on my DD FL no bother, thread it through the channel and larks head it onto the gather and job sorted :)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
2.4 kn is only 240 kg. I know that's pretty strong but I wouldn't trust it, I know the ultralight crabs from DD are rated to 400kg [4kn] which is about as low a breaking strain as I'd like on anything involved in suspending my hammock [I've recently got a set, and swapping out my climbing crabs and going light weight]. 2.5mm Amstell is rated to 720kg IIRC.

I weight 85kg, with a 30 deg hang = 85kg on each suspension line. Change the angles and the forces can go up dramatically [http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/]. That's just static force, every bounce and swing can create a considerable shock load which may get up to / exceed that breaking strain [I do like to swing in my hammock, a gentle rock is relaxing and a longer swing can be quite fun :) - I also have kids so with them I go stupidly strong]. I know it's not life or death but even falling 3/4 ft isn't pleasant if you manage to break the suspension.

Also on top of that knots decrease breaking strengths :)

Currently I'm going for amsteel with a marlin spike to a continuous loop on my hammock.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
for hanging my hammock I use what is called a Wild Country 400cm Cordelette cut in half. It's a dyneema sewn sling specifically designed for climbing, strength 22kn weight 135grams (according to Needle Sports).

Specifications of each length when cut in half (one length for each end of hammock).

Dyneema so no stretch.
10mm wide x 400cm long (13 foot).
Strength 22kn (4,954 lbs).
Light weight about 70 grams.

At present Rock & Run website are selling these at a reduced price of £12.50 (they are normally about £22-£24). so each length for hammock is only going to cost £6.25 and you will have a very strong lightweight set up far better than using the accessory cord you referred to. With mine I just fix one end to the hammock with a DMS phantom carabiner and tie the other end to the tree (I use various knots for tree end often just a full round turn finished with a slipped bowline).

http://www.rockrun.com/deals/slings/wild-country-cordelette-dyneema-10mm-x-400cm

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Tree huggers and whoopie slings are the way forward, they're designed for hammocking and make setting up sooooo much easier as you can easily adjust the whoopie slings to achieve the 30 degree angle. What's also important is that the tree huggers are typically made from strong webbing which means that no trees will be harmed while you hang from them!

Simply connect the tree huggers to the whoopie slings by using either a carabiner/soft shackle (as per the sets sold by DD hammocks) or save the weight of the carabiners by using a marlin spike hitch (which is what I do!)

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Well if you all think whoopie slings are all that I might as well try them. Especially as a kindly forum member had already offered to make me a pair!

Thanks for all your input everyone. I'll play around with a few set ups and no doubt come to the same conclusion as you all have already?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE