Handmade Folding Buck Saw.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dirac

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Abbotsbury
Again, never sure where to post the threads, so I apologise if it's in the wrong forum/subforum!

I saw these advertised on the a certain tool/outdoor equipment website and decided that I could probably make one for less than the asking price. Here's what I made following Paul Kirtley's very informative blog http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2011/how-to-make-folding-bucksaw/:

BeechBuckSaw1-1.jpg

BeechBuckSaw11-1.jpg

The wood I used is Beech wood because it's been used for tool handles for many years and it's also what I had lying around. I made the mortise and tenon joints using a 1/4" and 1" chisel and cut the rest with a ban saw/planer/chopsaw depending on what I was doing. The blade itself it just one I picked up from a DIY store for 3.99£.

There is one minor change that, in my opinion, makes it much more useable:
I made the handles curved to fit more comfortably in my hand, as seen in the top pic. I tried it with just a straight piece of wood as seen in many other examples, but personally I wouldn't be able to use them for any period of time.

As a first attempt at any sort of wood work since I was 16 at school, it's not bad. I can appreciate the time that goes in to making one and hence the asking price for the one I saw for sale (well kind of). Gunna make a few more up for friends with the left over wood, so hopefully I'll get a bit better at it and refine the shape of the handle. Also I could have spent a lot of time working on the finish, making the cross bar exactly symmetrical etc, but I thought if I make it too nice I wont use it.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Very well made my friend, This is one project on my list of things to make, and seing yours has just put it to the top of my list!!!!!
In my opinion, the best i have seen yet, and a damn site better than my best atempts will produce!.
Congrats!

Dirac

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Abbotsbury
Thanks for the compliments guys, I just had a go using it and it works a treat.

@Mesquiet, it's a 24" blade. Not sure if it's for green or dead wood though.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks for the compliments guys, I just had a go using it and it works a treat.

@Mesquiet, it's a 24" blade. Not sure if it's for green or dead wood though.

Nice handy size... and the blade teeth are designed for dread wood but work very nicely with green :cool:

Dirac

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Abbotsbury
Just took it out looking for some pine nuts and general heartwood for tinder/resin. It works ok, twists a little if I take my mind off of it for a second and not as good as a standard bow saw (the orange ones). I'm going to have a play with the mortise and tenon joint to see if I can transfer more tension to the blade as that might be the problem.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
That looks very good. I like how you done the handles how about a channel in the top so the blade sit in when not in use.
I've made couple of buck saw's up myself.

Topknot

Dirac

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Abbotsbury
That looks very good. I like how you done the handles how about a channel in the top so the blade sit in when not in use.
I've made couple of buck saw's up myself.

Topknot
I was thinking that myself too, great minds think alike!

Another thing I've been thinking is making another which is 12" high as apposed to 13" (this one). I'd then put slits in the back of the upright supports so that they can be folded back on to the blade. I'm going to experiment a bit as the slit will need to be past the line of the centre of the holes that hold the blade in to accommodate it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE