handlining?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
any handliners out there? what set ups do you use? I've just purchased myself a new handline although I have other existing setups- will post pics tomorrow if anyones interested.

cheers

J

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
will do tomorrow robbi :) it's good fun, I've had good results with panda pop bottles, as silly as it sounds but there not quite as permanent as other purpose built handlines unfortunately!

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I have two, one I bought and one I made, both have proved very successful, buuuuuut I nearly lost the home made one in an altercation with a small plaice in cardigan bay...lol... I'll have to rig up some king of wrist lanyard or something

2011-09-28165800.jpg

2011-09-28164846.jpg

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
Here's one i've just finished turning, it's sweet chestnut. I've still got to drill the end out to take a bit of kit, lures flies, hooks, swivels and weights e.t.c. wind on some line and make some sort of stopper, is the type of handline you mean ? I'll be making some more, slightly different designs and out of cherry, apple and oak. This one's only had one coat of danish oil so far i'll give it a few more and attach either a paracord or leather thong strap.

Last edited:

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
hi guys! sorry for leaving the thread to sit a while! I havnt taken pics of my current lines but I have ordered two of these, a medium and a large, and they look the biz. Will post pics when they arrive;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Caster-Fishing-Lines-/120786184496?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&var=&hash=item61ccb774f2

ive got a similar one in green which suffers from a badly moulded structure which chaffes line and its not quite wide enough to wind in fast. Im trying to work on a system to attach pebbles/stones to use as weights so I don't have to carry weights around... anybody got any ideas? perhaps another use for paracord!

p.s. how nice would it be to have something like the handline above but in wood~??? hmmmm.....

Last edited:

Forgeways

Jun 25, 2010
Machynlleth, powys
I use simple handlines for fishing from the kayak so no real need to cast. All my handlines are simply the £1 crablines found in overflowing bins in Aberdovey in the summer. Just take three and join all the lines and put it on one real, tie on a nice stainless swivel snap and you good to go with any rig, but usualy opt for feathers or little immitation fry set up like feathers and a 4oz weight.

Jonnie you could use the washing tablet bags that go in the washing machine for the stone holders

Dec 16, 2010
Devon
Have you tried lures?

They can be easily be made from a piece of bone or plastic and then let it run free to the hook at the end. the lure should be heavy to make it easier to throw. Then its just a matter of chucking it in and perfecting your trolling skill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE