Hand line reel/pot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Decided to make an easy transportable fishing reel/pot, made one before so this is MK2.

Made out of some hardwood I found in my dads garage (mahogany?). It was square to start with so rounded it off. Cut a section off the top and then cut a smaller circle which I then cut from the side to make the plug. The contact area of the plug is leather which I glued and tacked in place and put some beeswax on to help seal it.

I then drilled the centre of the larger section out to make a pot. I also found that when reeling in the line on MK1 it sometimes went off the end of the reel, so I made a slight indent all the way round to keep the line in the right place.

I also drilled a hole in the lid to put a bit of leather thong through to make a lid puller. I also made a small hole in the base and made a small plug to go in it. This is for the start of the line to have a strong (ish) anchor point. This was tapped in so it is flush with the base.

I then coated the whole thing with teak oil. I want to put some resin glue around the leather puller, put haven't got any pine resin at the moment (got beeswax as we have 9 hives!).

Tried out MK1 last weekend and caught a perch on the 3rd casting, couldn't believe it! Lost the spinner after that and the 2nd spinner wasn't so effective :-(

Here's some pics:

Hoboreel2.jpg

Hoboreel1.jpg

Hoboreel4.jpg

Hoboreel3.jpg

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
That is ace! I am off t the garage to find some materials, how do find it being in a bag or pocket, does the line get pulled about or do you use a cover? really good work that,

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
I've not used them a huge amount but haven't had any probs with line so far. If you're concerned then just get one of those wide elastic bands on the line, that'll hold it in place.

I like the fact I can use different spinners or even a line and float if I wanted as there's plenty of space for other bits in the pot.

I've used 15lb line, mainly because I wouldn't fancy catching anything too big with only that bit of wood to hold onto!!

(p.s. TJ or YJ?)

takjaa

May 20, 2010
Hampshire, England
well done fella that looks cool :)
iv been looking to make one myself recently, not so long ago i saw one on this site that looked really fancy but havent been able to find it since :(
iv seen some for sale at around the £100 mark :s but would much prefer to make it myself.
keep up the good work n maybe some pictures of what you catch?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Is Tj all the way:) , but alas the pic is were i want to end up mines only slighty modded, relying on driving skill rather than big tyres at the mo,I get stuck alot:eek:

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
maybe some pictures of what you catch?

Won't be that often, but will do.

Default Is Tj all the way , but alas the pic is were i want to end up mines only slighty modded, relying on driving skill rather than big tyres at the mo,I get stuck alot

I've got a fairly modded XJ, used to do loads but over here in suffolk, not so much. Have a look at RockzNRutz and J33P forums.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE