Hand Drill: Aching Hands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Hi All,
I've been working on the hand drill again. I find that I can only get a coal if I have a partner to take over from me when I tire.

I'm not too concerned about that. My concern is that for every attempt at the hand drill, I need quite a few days of recovery time, as the bones near the heel of my palm ache for days!

Am I the only one to have such dainty hand problems or is this common?

Rory McCanuck

Dec 25, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
All that pain is from over-using the muscles and tendons.
Sounds obvious, I know, but that is what you need to fix.
Try to relax the deathgrip on the bow. Vigorous arm movement
will make your brain automatically grab on like your life depends
on it. Try to see how loose you can hold the bow without it
jumping from your hand.
Another thing that really hurts hands is a too small grip. If you
devise a way to increase the diameter of the handle, less hand
strength is needed to hold it securely. A cloth wrapped around it,
maybe? Just make sure the cloth is secure (tied on?) or you will
end up using a deathgrip on that, defeating the purpose.

And no, you aren't the only one with hand problems, but it is
much easier to prevent the problem than trying to put up with it.
Best of luck

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
One piece of advice that I'm trying to impliment is taking an almost casual approach, right up to the point of getting smoke (sometimes thick smoke)from the hand-drill - before going hell-for-leather to achieve the ember!
I had some very good coaching from Rich59, and though he's not very active at the moment, I believe he wrote a very informative article which should be heading back very soon once the site is rehashed over the next few days.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I take the appraoch of trying to get smoke, then resting - still passing down the spindle but only lightly, just enough to get a whisp of smoke to make sure the end is still hot.
After a min or two when your strength is back go for broke and produce the ember.
It's easier to get an ember from an already hot end than a cold one

I guess basically you split the process into two parts
Process originally shown to me by Rich too

Mark

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Wentworth, why did you opt for a hand drill instead of a bow drill?

Bow drill is much easier on the mitts, if not the brain.

I achieved an ember with the bow drill in 10sec yesterday (a PB!). First attempt that day. So I'm after the elusive hand drill coal, solo this time.... once my hands heal up :)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I have one thought on aching hands in hand drill - the diameter of the drill. If you are drilling with a thin stick with the thick end down then your more likely to get sore hands than if you have a thicker stick with the thin end pointing down.

Another thought is getting the moisture of your hands right. With it just right you need minimal inward pressure. Doesn't solve the shear forces causing blisters, but it can stop the deep pain from the bones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE