Hand chain saw? what one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

strideredc

Dec 19, 2009
west sussex
any ideas folks, are they good rubbish ect.

i have seen videos of people cutting trees as fast as my petrol chainsaw!

i want it for cutting fallen trees upto 8-10 inch when we have our camping trips in the woods and there is no way i can use a petrol. plus chopping them up with an axe is time consuming and noisy...

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
This has been asked a few times, unfortunately I can't find the links just now. However the general feeling is to stay away from them. I have one, got it for 20 quid, used it twice and never though to use it again. A good bow saw will easily handle a 10" round, or folding saw like Silkies etc. You can get folding bow saws for camping too, so no need to worry about the bulk of them. The hand chainsaws are far too much effort and not worth the money.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Have to agree with Nagual. I've used such things where it was physically impossible to get a bow saw into the space, but if you think in terms of twenty to fifty times the effort you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think I'd rather go with a proper saw too, the Duluth Bob Destrude is a tidy package that cuts really well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE