Hand carved pistol grips

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi all,

I thought I would try something a bit different today and having bought a new C02 plinker for the garden I decided to try my hand at some grips.

I have no idea what the wood is (answers on a post card please) as it came from a bundle of knife scale blanks I have had sitting in a box for a few years.

I didn't get any pics of the process but all in it took about an hour and was simply a case of tracing round the original plastic grips, carving away the excess, putting in the holes and then tidying everything up with a dremmel sanding drum.

Finished off with tung oil and I must say I'm rather pleased with the result.
Very comfortable and really offsets the plain features of the gun.

bda2a61009dbd47106fb3f372e708981.jpg

7ef3e4d3ecf5b1cf495fdd27e978cb46.jpg

ee4c3a336cb899fbdd0faf2df6a1f17e.jpg

c39dab77d9a49dd9f12d388054bc54b8.jpg

597689ad8e9e39e0a4acc72b6f210c1f.jpg

Cheers all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
WOWSER!!:yikes:

They're beauties!! :35:

I've made a few sets over the years but don't seem to have taken pics of many of them :eek:

I can only find a pic of this Junior, The grips are embarrassingly bad but better than the cracked and chipped bakelite ones that were fitted!! ;)

v1Ut6dj.jpg

John :)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Well, keep at it. There's a market for custom grips for all sorts of hand guns.
Competition shooters need a pistol that fits their hand. Nothing less will do.

Google 'Olympic Free Pistol.'
Select: Images
Have a very good look at these, I never shot OFP but I'd watch the shooters put the gun on their hand like a glove.
Made aquaintance with a paraplegic guy who did a lot of leather work for me.
He also did well, carving grips for Free Pistols!

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
WOWSER!!:yikes:

They're beauties!! :35:

I've made a few sets over the years but don't seem to have taken pics of many of them :eek:

I can only find a pic of this Junior, The grips are embarrassingly bad but better than the cracked and chipped bakelite ones that were fitted!! ;)

v1Ut6dj.jpg

John :)

Now that I like a lot, if you hadn't said so I would have thought they were the originals.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In the OP, it's red enough to be reaction wood from Acer negundo = Box Elder/Manitoba Maple are our common names for it in western Canada..
The color indicates some sort of biochemical damage (insects?) If so, sometimes it fades, sometimes it doesn't.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Looks like it could be a sapwood/heartwood boundary..

Nice grips!

It does kinda look like Tulip though, just cut differently.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/351244908314-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

In the OP, it's red enough to be reaction wood from Acer negundo = Box Elder/Manitoba Maple are our common names for it in western Canada..
The color indicates some sort of biochemical damage (insects?) If so, sometimes it fades, sometimes it doesn't.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I think it is a sapwood / heartwood boundary. In the top pic, the grain appears to be very open..... indicative of sapwood. Based on the colours... It could be Tulip, one of the rosewoods, kingwood or perhaps even cocobolo.... all of these have that creamy sapwood. I'm less inclined towards cocobolo though as that tends to have very defined grain in the heartwood.

You could be onto something there, from what I remember they were a book ended set and seem to have been cut through or close to the heartwood.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE