hammocks.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Anybody got any good advice on hammocks.
Im looking for a basic hammock for use with a tarp.The vast majority of models ive seen have mozzie nets and such like attached.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you tried doing a search, there`s plenty of info on hammocks in previous threads

Also try DD, group buy hammock, henessey etc

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Pablo, Brilliant. I've been looking into hammocks for a few weeks now and thought that the DD's were the best all rounder, especially for a novice due to their price tag. The only decision I had to make was which type and thanks to your blog that's now taken care of as well!

(Camping version by the way!)

Chris

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Good couple of vids there Pablo. It was because of the first one i went and bought a DD hammock :D

Very happy with it indeed, and Nick at DD is helpful.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Chris G,

Hi, I bought the Travel version over a year ago with built in net and no zip for the two sections.So whatever hey are called getting a net is a must I think.

Soloman,

If you are SotP Soloman, I'll bring mine tomorrow to show you.

Nick

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I have a DD Camping Hammock which was new to me back at this Summer's Bushmoot, its great, but one piece of advice.. waterproof it! In the sense of the webbing (rope) In torrential rain the webbing that comes with the hammock can soak up the water like a wick and it will run down and soak your hammock and sleeping kit if your not careful. I recommend using a couple of carabinas to sit between the webbing and your hammock so the water will hit that and drop off. Oh and regards the tip of having little cotton drip-lines dangling from the webbing; that technique dosent work! Don't rely on it in heavy rain.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
We use plastic zip ties/cable ties at work where drip looks are impossible. If you fitted a could to these to the lines at the end of the hammock and cut off the long length of plastic I would have thought that that would also work? Cheaper than crabs any day.

Chris

PS - still not sure which hammock to get!

J

john habb

Another simple way is to drip a bit of wax on where you want the water to fall off, seems to work for me:) :)

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Yeah, tbh imo I cant see the cable-ties working and I know the wax technique would be useless with the style of webbing attached to my hammock. A section of wax on the webbing would stop the water dripping down on the surface of the webbing but it also soaks through the core, so im pretty sure it would still get through.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Nightwalker,

I use half a squash ball on my hammock lines to stop the water running down to my hammock. Cut the squash ball in half, make a small cut in the ball and slide the half onto the webbing, with the inside of the ball facing away from the hammock, obviously repeat for all hammock lines. It has worked well for me in torrential rain in the jungle, it also makes it more difficult for little creepy crawlies to use the webbing as access to a large meal, i.e. You!

Brian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE