Hammocks, Time to get mine!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Hi all,

The time has come that on Payday I can afford to look at a lower end hammock set up. I have read pretty much all the threads on here, and some elsewhere and pretty much settled on getting the DD frontline hammock. I'll need a tarp too, so have been costing the whole lot up and have seen that now DD to a full setup pack, which at a glance seems like pretty good value.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/rucksacks/pack-full

A Hammock, Sleeve, Tarp, sleeping bag liner, 10M of light webbing, whistle and a bag to put it all in.

I may contact them though and ask if the sleeping bag liner could be swapped for the crabs they do, as I don't particularly need the liner.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Always worth an ask - after all, if you don't ask, you don't get :)

Just be prepared for a negative response, or maybe some compromise??

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
I've asked, and they are happy to do the swap, but are adding an extra £2. The reason, the crabs arent thier own product so need to add the small mark up. Fair enough.

It's now down to me having the guts to go ahead and order it. I have been umming and ahhhing for months about a hammock. My main worry is getting one, and not being comfy in it. The tarp etc is fine, I want and need one, so I guess I could always flog the Hammock if it turns out it's not for me.

Everywhere I look the DD kit seems to be rated as good value for money.

Go on, go ahead and buy it, you know you want it! At least you'll find out if it works for you and you won't have to keep wondering about it. If it doesn't work out then as you say it can always be passed on and some funds recouped. Let us know what you decide.
Gibbo.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I have two hammocks atm..very simular to the dd travel hammock but one in large green camo and one in extra large in a yellow camo both with the mozzie hang nets. got them off ebay about 2 years ago for about £40 each, they have unusual military type patterns amongst the camo. Id like a fully water proof one with a see through window on the top thoughbut im not sure if they make ones like that..

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Well, it's all set up and ready to go, after some quick and helpful emails from Penny at DD.

£101, for the Hammock pack linked to in the orig post, with 2 crabs instead of the sleepeing bag liner. I'll be paying on Wed, when I have been paid. Can't wait, very excited. The first use will be over Easter weekend when I am taking my Explorer Scouts away. I am going for the frontline, not the traveller, as I don't want the condensation problems.

That fully waterproof one you want Sammo, with the window, sounds like a condensation nightmare mate! That or I have the wrong end of the stick.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Well, it's all set up and ready to go, after some quick and helpful emails from Penny at DD.

£101, for the Hammock pack linked to in the orig post, with 2 crabs instead of the sleepeing bag liner. I'll be paying on Wed, when I have been paid. Can't wait, very excited. The first use will be over Easter weekend when I am taking my Explorer Scouts away. I am going for the frontline, not the traveller, as I don't want the condensation problems.

That fully waterproof one you want Sammo, with the window, sounds like a condensation nightmare mate! That or I have the wrong end of the stick.

yeah condensation might be an issue, but id love to be dry and able to see the lovely morning light. surely a few strategically placed vents would resolve the issue?

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I have two hammocks atm..very simular to the dd travel hammock but one in large green camo and one in extra large in a yellow camo both with the mozzie hang nets. got them off ebay about 2 years ago for about £40 each, they have unusual military type patterns amongst the camo. Id like a fully water proof one with a see through window on the top thoughbut im not sure if they make ones like that..

They do but its not called a hammock its called a tent lol

Dave

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
They do but its not called a hammock its called a tent lol

Dave

haha! i know its seems a bit silly but it would mean you dont need a tarp and still let you see outside while being dry. maybe work in some breathable material vents on the less stressed and vunerable parts?

is it just me who sees this as a good idea then? :0

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
A tent-
examples-tents_4.jpg

A hammock-
picExpeditionHammockSide.JPG

Sorry could not resist:D

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
hammocks are super light weight and fast to set up, but the tent has 'weather protection'..id like a hammock that can do that and use the freed up tarp space in my bag for more rations. Ive had a suprise downfall bugger up a basic hammock night on a supposed dry week and its annoying!

anyone good with a needle? ;)

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Samon; Have you thought about the Hennessy hammocks and tarps? I've one on the way so can't report on my experience of them, but they may suit your requirements in a fashion.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
had a look at the hennessy ones earlier and have considered using a tarp like a hammock wrap. the reason id like to avoid a tarp though is becasue i like to remain hidden as much as possible, never been fond of ever being seen camping out.

main reason for this is an experience my friends had when in a tent one time..some thugs came in the middle of the night and battered their tent while they were sleeping with croquet hammers and left my buddies badly hurt and covered in massive lumps and bruises. tbh though, even before that ive always felt best when im hidden.

I might try working a waterproof camo tarp onto one of my existing hammocks, light needle work on the mozzie net here and there with the tarp going under aswell should maintain strength and an all over waterproofing. could stitch in a little clear pvc window in aswell ;)

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
main reason for this is an experience my friends had when in a tent one time..some thugs came in the middle of the night and battered their tent while they were sleeping with croquet hammers and left my buddies badly hurt and covered in massive lumps and bruises. tbh though, even before that ive always felt best when im hidden.

Anyone who's prepared to beat someone up who sleeps in the woods alone has some serious courage!(And mental imbalance!). I've said before that most of us folk carry at least one sharp and shiney object with us when we're out! You've got to be brave and stupid to pick on our sort!

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Samon; Have you thought about the Hennessy hammocks and tarps? I've one on the way so can't report on my experience of them, but they may suit your requirements in a fashion.

i have one, really comfy and large hammock. i too like to see my surroundings rather than be enclosed in fabric, the shape of the standard HH tarp allows you to open it right up in all but horizontal rain!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Anyone who's prepared to beat someone up who sleeps in the woods alone has some serious courage!(And mental imbalance!). I've said before that most of us folk carry at least one sharp and shiney object with us when we're out! You've got to be brave and stupid to pick on our sort!

I know when i see tents out in the woods and fields i steer clear of them for that reason..most campers have tools and can get paranoid and its polite to not intrude. but my friends werent camping as such, just trying out a tent..the guys who beat their tent in were druggies that had approached them earlier in the day to sell their 'wares'. my small town has a large number of undesirables, and my friends werent far enough away from troubled areas. Ive since moved to a neighbouring town and the woodland is much larger and less urban. hopefully if i can find a good companion to experience them properly with..as i havent been out properly yet.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Samon - Maybe this:hir
http://store.eurekatent.com/products/347406/Chrysalis_Hammock_System
would meet your needs.

Personally I think you would be better off with something like a Hennessy with its minimal diamond tarp. You could pitch the tarp high in "Porch" mode to give all round visibility, and drop it down lower for heavy rain. There are videos on the Hennessy web site showing this and also their insulation system, which envelopes the hammock with waterproof cover and bottom. Even better, look at the videos by forum member trekkingnut on youtube They are about rigging a Hennessey
BTW - as you might have guessed, I have a Hennessey. A less expnsive option would be a simple netless travel hammock like the grand trunk ultra light plus a 8X6 basha rigged as a diamond. Better would be a 9x9 tarp to give better rain coverage.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
That hammock you linked looks really good, I had thought about the little air vent rain covers but didn't fancy badly explaining them haha! I think what I will do first is get a small camo tarp as they are usefull to have anyway..then try and cover and stitch it to one of my existing hammocks (stitched to the plain fabric zipper parts of the netting) and work it in/around the built in mozzie net ropes. IF it works, I might add zippers to take the tarp on and off when needed.

Can anyone reccomend a cheap small tarp to kep me dry? (;

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE