hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
n 1Hi can anyone recommend me a hammock setup
I'm looking for something relatively lightweight. But with an arctic rating but some thing like a 3 in 1 but wide and long

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
UK hammocks have good gear...

Their winter under quilt if you don't mind the extra size or get a custom short uq [based on their summermodel] and get it with bigger baffles (matt offered to do this for me). The shorter quilts work very well, i don't use the longer ones any more. You can stick your pack or a sit pad under your legs, you get more flexibilty (you get a seat and an emergency for cold spots on the body) and less pack bulk/weight this way.

If you might want to go to ground get the thermarest prolight, more annoying to use though and bulkier than an under quilt. Again i recommend the shorter lengths. Cut up an old ccf and try it in a hammock and on the ground to get an idea of what size you might want. Again, your pack or a sit pad will sort your legs with a shorter length giving you more flexibility.

Go for the winter top quilt of course. If you are not actually expecting arctic weather (coldest uk temp has been mid minus 20s [celcius]) get a zipped foot box as you can ventilate if it gets too warm; else sewn is best for true cold as it eliminates drafts.

If you are new to them all together and thinking what's with quilts check out shugs videos on youtube, i think his channel is called shugemery and he has good introduction, advanced and review videos. Generally speaking you want long under quilt with a top quilt for convenience and comfort; a short under quilt, leg pad and a top quilt for flexibilty, weight savings and comfort; a pad and seeping bag or top quilt for flexibilty or to save buying new gear

If it is winter only the woodsman hammock will be great, single layer for under quilt only use and to save weight, dual layer if you are larger or want to use a thermarest between the layers. For summer you can add a fronkey bug net, or just get the woodsman X. The newer expedition model is a bit over engineered but is longer too, longer means more comfort for taller people.

The snugpak (similar to DD) gear is fairly pants in all honesty. The underquilt is excessively bulky and heavy even for a synthetic. Its shape means you are pretty much certain to either get compression of the insulation under your bottom or a sag on the side that can chimney warmth out of the ends. The top quilt again, heavy and bulky for a syntetic. Not enough coverage at the legs if you use a partial under quilt. Both are inadequate for colder temps. I have used both of these for near two years every month in any weather and was very pleased to not have to use them in the cold any more. If you really want snugpak to test the water on a budget i will sell you mine if you like. I also have a tenth wonder 'eric' hammock minus suspension i plan to sell. PM me if you want them.

If you are willing to order from the US enlightened equipment make great synthetic quilts for all seasons out of climashied apex that are actually lighter than down for summer use. They have a range of sizes too. When it comes to down warbonnet sell the best quilts you can get. I think there warbonnet blackbird hammock is overrated though, if importing i would visit the dream hammock website instead. Honestly though you are not going to get any weather here that UK hammocks cannot cater for; i recommend down overfill though on any down quilt you buy.

Suspension, it doesn't get any better than: webbing for the trees with toggles or buckles to attach your cordages too; team this up with either dyneema whoopie slings, dyneems leads with dutch speed hooks, or dyneema leads with SMC rolled aluminium descender rings. I prefer the leads, whoopie slings can be a pig to slacken off if your hang site requires little slack on the cordage.

Tarp wise i use 1.8mm dyneema for the ridge line with dutch flyz. You can use a truckers hitch instead of hardware. A basic 3x3 silnyon tarp serves wel although a bit big for summer perhaps; you can pull the ends tight as doors when it is windy and it is about the right size for all but 12 foot hammocks if you have decent sag in the hammock. Mine fits my 11 foot hammock but it is a bit fiddly and takes practice, but then i have a lot of sag on my hammocks. Side pull outs on a tarp are also very useful for hammocks when either extra room is wanted or high winds are about. You might even prefer a 3.5 x 3.5 meter tarp. The length of the tarp determines minimum distance between trees.

All these things are about as light as you can get and very durable, in fact excessively durable for real life use. You get what you pay for though so it won't be cheap. You might want to visit hammockforums.

Last edited:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have the DD hammocks and rate them. Closed cell foam mat in the bottom, good sleeping bag as a quilt on top and a some form of under quilt is the way I go. Have used both the DD and a modded sleeping bag to great effect. Also I find having the tarp adjusted so it almost touches the hammock cuts out a lot of wind ( and chill)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE