Hammock Webbing Sagging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I've got a DD Hammock with the supplied webbing attached, im having trouble's with it sagging a lot, I've heard some say it does this for the first few times, but I've used it a good few times now and it sags a lot everytime, probably because im a heavy chap, 17 stone :eek: Anyway, I just received 100 foot of 7mm rope and was thinking of maybe giving that a try instead of the webbing. I think my normal 4mm paracord can supposedly hold 250KG so im guessing the 7mm stuff will be more than sufficient :rolleyes: Anyone else using rope instead of webbing/straps? If so what mm and good results?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nightwalker,
Theres a bunch of physics going on to calculate tha actual strain on your hammock ropes/tapes, but expect to see figures around the 600 to 900 kg range depending on how tight you tie it. The para cord might just hold it, and the 7mm rope should be OK, but the trees are going to suffer. I'd say keep with some form of webbing tape, just go for something wider and stronger - and quite possibly a different material from the original DD items.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
I have used the thicker paracord but it still sagged somewhat, I now use that webbing from those ratchet tie down straps you can buy on markets etc (cheap too). No sag at all and I am a big fella.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
How are you tying the hammock to the trees? I could be your knots that are slipping.

I'm a heavy lass and the first couple of times my straps stretched but they are fine now.

I pass the straps opposite each other around the tree then cross over in front and then tie in a simple bow knot back around the tree again. I may use a double knot if it looks like it is going to rain.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve heard people mention that a good soaking stops the webbing from stretching, mine got well and truly soaked the second time out and has been fine ever since. Not sure if you need to do this under tension or not but somebody on here will know no doubt.

Rich

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
No, bin it it is rubbish. Corr will testify to that fact, he had his nose touching his tarp at the start of the night at Delamere, next morning his back was on the floor! Either get some climbing tape to do the lot, or get some seat belt strap to create a short sling around the tree and tie onto the two ends with your rope to save the bark.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I would stay clear of ropes too, for the tree's sake.

You could cheaply upgrade to stronger webbing at B+Q. They have strong polyprop stuff on the spools there.

Also buy enough length to go round the tree a few times, it reduces the stress on your knots.

After that, I suppose all materials have some stretch, so the less distance between you and your trees the better.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
My DD webbing has had a good soaking too, didnt improve it any. I think it is time to ditch the webbing and get some different stuff. Or I could recycle what I already have by using spamel's idea, but without the seatbelt. I could cut down my existing DD webbing, use it to go round the tree a good few times, then of a loop of the webbing have my 7mm rope coming off that, so I could use the rope for the lengths, that should be fine on the tree. I'll have to check the elasticity of this 7mm rope I've got now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE