Hammock underblanket or mat help needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
My Jungle Hammock arrived this morning. I was told that Tom Claytors' customer service was good, but I only ordered last Sunday! Amazing service.

Now, to the point. I want a mat really rather than the underblanket idea, as the hammock is double layered, and can be used as a bivvy if necessary. Will, (Jungle re) mentioned a Multimat, but which one, there are loads. I can't see a foam mat being much good as the curve of the hammock will cause it to crease up.

Any ideas or suggestions anyone?

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm not too familiar with the jungle hammock or Multimats. I have a homemade underblanket for my HH, but if you'd rather not go the underblanket route, a foam mat might be a cheap alternative worth trying. You could cut some darts in the foam to help it conform to the hammock shape. Don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but a dart is just a triangular shaped cut, in from the side.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
I use a foam sleeping mat with my DD hamock - no problems at all with cold on my underside. For the DD hammock there's no need to cut any darts in the mat, but, of course, I don't know the hammock you are talking about.

BTW - I always use the widest mats. Sorry I can't give the measurements at the moment, but obviously it wasn't huge otherwise it wouldn't have fitted..;)

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
If it really matters that a foam mat will crease then get a self inflating mat.I use them all the time and have no problems.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That's good. Wanted to check that a pad would work ok. Seems it will by your experiences.

Here's a pic of the Jungle Hammock from mosquitohammock.com . Mine is in plain dark green.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

picJungleHammock.jpg

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I don't need another hammock, but one day I'm going to pick up a jungle hammock.

There was a change to the hammock design sometime last year, several customers said that they preferred the original design, so Tom Claytor sent them another hammock of the original design, free of charge. Stand up guy.

The windscreen reflectors conform to the shape of your body better than a foam pad, can also be easier to pack. And you can buy extra wide ones that will cover your shoulders.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
not a hammocker as you know but multimat are well worth a good look at for a self inflating mat. The advantage i see of the mat is you have a tarp all ready and a dos bag the use of the mat means if need be you can still have a comfy warm kip on the floor. The mat im using and rate very highly is this http://www.multimat.uk.com/product.asp?Ref=4&Label=Expedition&Nav=1&ProductRef=31 good to -45 deg C and used cross antartica its good enough for me and compared to thermarest and exped good value too adn far higher temp performance.

Be intrested to here how the hammock performs

ATB Will

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
not a hammocker as you know but multimat are well worth a good look at for a self inflating mat. The advantage i see of the mat is you have a tarp all ready and a dos bag the use of the mat means if need be you can still have a comfy warm kip on the floor. The mat im using and rate very highly is this http://www.multimat.uk.com/product.asp?Ref=4&Label=Expedition&Nav=1&ProductRef=31 good to -45 deg C and used cross antartica its good enough for me and compared to thermarest and exped good value too adn far higher temp performance.

Be intrested to here how the hammock performs

ATB Will

I'm not hammocking in Antarctica Will !! There are 'no tree' situations, and -45 solid ice and wind 'no tree' situations. I've emailed Multimat for their recommendations as they have a huge range, so thanks for the suggestion.

I set up the hammock yesterday but it was low light and the pics didn't come out well. I think I will modify it so it has a ridgeline with klemheists to tweak the tension on the tarp rather than tie to the corners as they suggest, and include someting similar on the hammock ties for easy adjustment. Otherwise it's very impressive for the money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE