hammock/tent hybryd

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Has anyone tried one. I have seen a few designs that can be slung as a hammock or pegged to the floor like a tent. I quite like the flexibility of the idea. does it really produce the ultimate in a flexible sleeping system or does it produce an item with too many compromises to be very good at either

Last edited:

Suwarrow

Jul 7, 2016
London
I haven't tried one, but I believe the hammock material is usually made from non breathable waterproof materials, which would be great as a ground tarpaulin but pretty sweaty if you are partially cocooned in it as a hammock.

I may be wrong, there may be some goretex/breathable types of there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up philipb

I've only tried it during the day as an obs shelter, not yet over night.

Tensioned and adjusted correctly it is very stable, quite comfortable and there is far less sag than in most commercial hammocks that I have seen.
(If you get the thimble adjustment even slightly out it can tend to twist slightly).

I have been using it slung as close to the ground as I can get it whilst still maintaining a minimum of 300mm (1 old foot:) beneath. The tree trunks are about four feet in circumference so hard tension is not a problem - not sure how lesser trees would fare.

I've used a German surplus folding mat between the hammock and the hooped bivvy and even in the recent daytime temps it didn't take long to feel the effects of cold from beneath so out came the doss bag and that sorted it - but over night I would defo boost things with a blanket beneath too.

The only downside so far is the bulk and the weight - hammock + hooped bivvy + mat + sleeping bag + blanket (+ tarp if required) add to that everything else that you would/should carry for a winter camp and we are into PLCE 120 litre Bergan country! (Not an issue for myself but maybe for others?).

The upside is that it is a very versatile and protective combination.

If there was a way of replacing the mild steel spreader bars with something lighter yet equally as strong that would be a step in the right direction.

Blueranger

Jun 13, 2015
North East
Has anyone tried one. I have seen a few designs that can be slung as a hammock or pegged to the floor like a tent. I quite like the flexibility of the idea. does it really produce the ultimate in a flexible sleeping system or does it produce an item with too many compromises to be very good at either

Have a look at the whychester bedroll rools can be used as either got one myself used it on the ground. Never used it as a hammock very well made canvas bomb proof

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I've always quite liked this "Mosquito hammock" design as it can be used on the ground like the groundsheet and insect net of a tent:
picJungleHammockGround.JPG

I always wondered if it were possible for a "British" version of the hammock that as well as having the insect net could also be fully enclosed Goretex and could be used as a bivibag with double hoops, nice idea eh?
(They don't do a version like that)

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I tried to copy the idea with an SAS hammock/stretcher, this is copied from an old thread I did but you'll get the idea,

poles in the sleeves for stretcher or "A" frame use
0ddcc5d7.png

hammock hung with issue insect net and issue basha
f14add5e.png

hammock hung with issue insect net and issue basha (close up of cords).
567f302f.png

view from inside the hammock (note: no spreader bars)
422aecc7.png

this is how I prefer to use it just 6" off the ground it's very comfy like a old style canvas camp bed.
(note: the stick net spreaders, and the added cords to tie net to hammock)
1b4ad942.jpg

(2017)Since the pictures were taken I've now added popers to join the net and hammock rather than the cords which didn't do much, I'm trying to work out if i could use alu poles and legs to use the bed when no no wooden logs or trees to make the hammock are available.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE