Hammock & Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Just spotted that Silverman's (http://www.silvermans.co.uk) have a "USA Hammock and Mossie Net" for about £35. They don't give much detail, but it looks like it might have a waterproof roof section so might be worth investigating.

I've recently used a cheap and cheerful combo of a British Army tarp and a cheap nylon mesh hammock that I bought for about £5 in an army surplus shop. It was not used in bad weather, this summer being what it was, but worked pretty well. It was worth cutting a couple of sticks to act as spreader bars on the hammock - it stopped me feeling trapped!

You probably want something less basic than this idea, but in a past military life, I've also used a couple of British Army ponchos clipped together to make a sort of low hammock that 2 people can sleep in, in relative comfort :lol: . Clip the ponchos together like an envelope, tie the hoods closed to avoid leaks and suspend the lot a couple of inches off the ground. String up the hood of the top poncho to an overhanging branch to make a low tent/wigwam shape, and climb in. Your weight will make the base poncho sag onto the ground, but the edges will stay up in the air and keep water out. The poncho is waterproof so that's no problem and the old 58 pattern army sleeping bag had press studs on it to keep it in place in just this sort of set-up. It's a bit claustrophobic and would not be much fun in really wet weather, but if you want to move light and fast it could be an option.

Ted W

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Anyone used the Ray Mears setup yet?
I see its for sale at Penrith, but its expensive! :shock:

I'd like to see how it compares to a hennesy, any chance of that Tone?

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
I didn't think the hammock was out yet:

17/06/2003
Hammock/Mosquito net

You will be delighted to know that after many years, Ray has at last developed the ultimate light- weight sleeping system comprising of a hammock, mosquito net and hootchie.
Each item will be available to purchase individually and discounted as a set.

This will be available from early November 2003. If you would like an email informing you of when this is available please register to our mailing list.

Couldn't see it on the store on the site.
I know the hootchie's there though (£60.. bit steep i thought)

You're right though, found it on Penrith.... strange

Ray Mears Eco's

Cheers :)
Carlo

J

jwhf

Hi all

I was just wondering which Hennessy people would recommend? I just got an email from woodland organics about them stocking them now and they have 4 on there but am not too sure a)if they're good value generally or b) which is the the 'better' one to go for?

Cheers in advance
Jonny

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I use an Aussie Hootchie, always been very very happy with it.

Ray`s new hootchie/mossy/hammock set is very good. Ray and I once took down a students `emergency` hammock that he fell out of three times a night, and put up Ray`s (quite a shock when he returned) and was very good, infact i`m getting one myself soon.

On the same trip we had a tropical storm, which I slept straight through under a hootchie (mind you i hadn`t slept well for 4 days dure to someone`s snoring, there was also a rock fall and wild boar where we camped that night and I slept straight through that also :) ).

I prefer them over tents by far. I`m a 6ft 2" fella myself and find the hootchie plenty big enough.

In terms of cost for various kit I have always taken the approach of you get what you pay for. I really dont mind something being expensive, as long as it does what it is supposed to do for a long time. All the kit I have baught, aves, knives, sleeping bags, rucksacks etc have been a bit more expensive than the girlfriend would have prefered, but then again its kits I`m expecting to get a lot of use out of, so I dont want it to fail, and i want to be using it 5 years from now at least.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i use the issue British army basha, it is a fair bit larger than the US poncho and it can be used as a stretcher.

the hammock i use is known as the SAS hammock, it also can be used as a stretcher, also can be made into an "A" frame bed for jungle use.

due to your height you will have plenty of room under the issue basha but you would not fit on my hammock, i'm nearly 6ft and i only just fit on it!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
jwhf said:
Hi all

I was just wondering which Hennessy people would recommend? I just got an email from woodland organics about them stocking them now and they have 4 on there but am not too sure a)if they're good value generally or b) which is the the 'better' one to go for?

Cheers in advance
Jonny

Stuart is your man for this :-D
We will also have some Hennessy Hammock reviews up in the next few weeks. :biggthump

J

jwhf

Thanks Tony....looking forward to reading the reviews

Cheers

Jonny

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE