Hammock + tarp for starter?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robotchicken80

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2012
Verden (Germany)
Hi Guys

maybe this question has been posted hundreds of times already so apologies in advance.

I am new into bushcraft and I want to make the transition from tent to hammock. It's just that I don't know anything about hammocks... they all look the same to me!

Could you recommend me a good combination of hammock + tarp?

I am not a big guy; chubby, but not really big: 170 cm and 85 kgs. so I guess that I do not need anything special

I will mainly use the hammock in spring, summer and autumm: I live in Germany and I do not plan to sleep in the outdoors at minus 10 ºC or at least not yet!! :)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Toni

garethw

Settler
Hi Toni,
If you do a search you'll come up with pretty much the same info.. but you can't go far wrong with a DD Frontline hammock and Tarp for starter. You can order online from their site in Euros and the delivery is pretty swift to Europe (I live in France). I'd also recommend you get the whoopie sling set right from the off, as it just makes if so much easier & faster to set up. The chords supplied are horrible.

You'll need a camp mat to place under yourself too. I use my sleeping bag as a quilt rather than zipping it up.
Get ready for the most comfy nights sleep.

Oh and before you start search out Shug's videos.. not only are they a riot, but very instructive too.

Happy Hanging
Gareth

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Another option would be the Tenth Wonder Green Hornet hammock, alot like the DD frontline/travel but with a few more features. They do good hammock tarps in the Sargasso range, but if your after an all round tarp then the DD xl is a good option,

Tenth Wonder green hornet range.

Just a happy customer and all that :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Another option would be the Tenth Wonder Green Hornet hammock, alot like the DD frontline/travel but with a few more features. They do good hammock tarps in the Sargasso range, but if your after an all round tarp then the DD xl is a good option,

Tenth Wonder green hornet range.

Just a happy customer and all that :)[/QUOTE)

+ 1 to the T W Green Hornet. Had mine for four years now.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Do you need bug protection at all? If not I recommend the Nomads Land XXL hammock, they're a lot softer and stretchier than a lot of other options, I find them really comfortable even though I've got bigger and better alternatives.

For a tarp I'd recommend looking for something around 4x3m, 3x3m is a bit too short for my liking. The DDs are hard to beat for value (never tried a TW but heard plenty of good reports), the 4.5x3m is a good buy, the 3x3m is just a bit too short although you can fashion some doors by pegging it out differently.

If you need bug protection you've got lots of options for hammocks, DD, Tenth Wonder, Hennessy, UKHammocks, Warbonnet, Clarke etc etc, it all comes down to budget really.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Remember with some tarps that they won't come with doors, however, quite a few can be rigged to allow doors by rigging with the tie-out loops 1 in from the end; example: if a tarp has 5 tie out points, using points 2 and 4 along with the centre tie-outs then folding in the ends.

The guys at hammockforums.net are a cracking bunch and full of info just about hammocking, then there is Shug and his youtube vids and while it takes a little while to get used to him, his videos contain a ton of useful advice. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8752777861C2AA8

garethw

Settler
Hi there
Don't mean to contradict, but never found a need for a bigger tarp than 3x3. I've used it in torrential rain with both my DD hammock and the slightly longer Warbonnet Blackbird. I've used bigger tarps, but as always there's a trade off. They are bigger to store, need more space to set up etc...

Regarding suspension..if you've watched Shug's video, you'll have seen all about tree straps and whoopie slings. I can't recommend these enough....which ever hammock you choose. Since I switched to this method hanging is quicker and easier, and the bulk is significantly less. As I can't get hold of Dutch clips easilyhere in France a small strong carbiner does the job just fine.

Once of the reason I suggested the Frontline is that is has a built in mozzie net, a pocket for the sleep mat and can be accessed from both sides. If when its colder and there are no bugs about, I like to flip it over and sleep with out a net.

Cheers
Gareth

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Hi there
Don't mean to contradict, but never found a need for a bigger tarp than 3x3. I've used it in torrential rain with both my DD hammock and the slightly longer Warbonnet Blackbird. I've used bigger tarps, but as always there's a trade off. They are bigger to store, need more space to set up etc...

Regarding suspension..if you've watched Shug's video, you'll have seen all about tree straps and whoopie slings. I can't recommend these enough....which ever hammock you choose. Since I switched to this method hanging is quicker and easier, and the bulk is significantly less. As I can't get hold of Dutch clips easilyhere in France a small strong carbiner does the job just fine.

Once of the reason I suggested the Frontline is that is has a built in mozzie net, a pocket for the sleep mat and can be accessed from both sides. If when its colder and there are no bugs about, I like to flip it over and sleep with out a net.

Cheers
Gareth

+ 1 :) ........

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have Two hammocks both DD and like them both, one frontline and one travel for when I may have to ground dewll, find them great and get on well with them, at the end of the day it how much do you want to spend and how oftern are you going to use them, and will always say yeah get a DD, good products and great aftersales service ... well thats what I have found.

I have seen these on ebay, but dont know about them... some one on here more then likely has.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nomad-Ham...321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d38c76999

As far as tarps are concerned, I have both a 3x3 and a XL from DD, the only comments I can make is that personaly I find the 3x3 a bit restrictive when you beritto the ends in in bad weather, so tend to use the XL in the winter months, saying that I would like a taller ridge when you take the side to the floor to stop the air circulation, so will be buying a 4x4 soon, its all personal choice as I say, also it depends on what you will be doing, if caring it in most of the time them weight and size dont matter that much.

As far as suspention goes, whoopie slings are a must, and I just use climbing crabs to attach them.... the woopies lings not only make it quick and easy to set up, they dont sag and strech like the staps that come with hammocks, and the Tree Huggers stop damage to trees.

robotchicken80

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2012
Verden (Germany)
Thanks very much to all of you for your help.

Silly question: Can The whoopie sling set by DD Hammocks be used with other hammocks than DD? I mean, if I decide to buy any other hammock brand, could I combine it with the whoopie sling set?

Thanks

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Most (if not all) hammocks can be converted to use whoopie slings. I've got 4 hammocks and they all have whoopie slings, it just makes it so much easier to set up.

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE