Hammock quilt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKAndyB

Jun 30, 2018
Flintshire. North Wales
Hi,
I have a 'easyhammock' 'hiker' hammock with built in underblanket. I was thinking about sorting out something better for the sleeping bag side of my set up. For the summer months, an army issue summer bag is ideal both for warmth but also for pack size. I have an additional underblanket which I sometimes use and packs down really small and certainly keeps me warm from underneath. I really want to keep a small pack size with regards to my upper insulation and was wondering if anybody uses the snugpak hammock quilt at all? (like the idea of the ease with which you can use it in a hammock!!!!) I have a snugpak sleeping bag so I know of their quality. It is just on the 'large' size.
Thanks

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Assuming a set of merino base layers and a wool mid layer, do you think this Snugpak quilt would be good for all all but the winter months? I would really like to get away with leaving the sleeping bag at home unless it's 5C or less.

Perci117

Jan 21, 2021
Yorkshire
I use the DD UQ. Loved it, was out in -4 plus a bit of wind and I was toasty as hell.
I use a merino base layer. Hennesy hammock and carinthia D4 bag.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
I've got the Easyhammock Winter Hiker which has a built in underblancket built in & a D4 bag, merino base layers. Went out in -4 a few weeks back to test the setup and woke up suprisingly warm. It was my 1st time ever in a hammock and I found the whole getting into and out of the bag a pain, at first I couldn't zip it up and when I did I couldn't reposition myself to get that diagonal lie, hence why I am looking at alternative top insulation. I can always take the D4 bag out when it gets really cold.

Anyway, the Sungpak Top Quilt....their site says it uses the equivalent insulation that they use for their 2 season bag and it seems quite thin. Surprised to hear it may be too warm with the merino base layers as well at 5C. Looks like I should order myself one :)

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Snip> I found the whole getting into and out of the bag a pain, at first I couldn't zip it up and when I did I couldn't reposition myself to get that diagonal lie.
Don't zip it up. Turn the bag over, just place your feet in the foot box and drape the bag overyou/tuck in sides if required.

That's all a top quilt is really.

Reactions: SaraR

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
IKEA just released a new product, a cushion/quilt (with arms).
No idea if any good or just a goofy product.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE