Hammock question

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
One of my hammocks has an internal amsteel ridgeline, what i want to know is am i ok to use this to suspend the hammock for sleeping or is it going to put two much stress on the material?

The ridge comes through the gathered ends and is then sercured by two larks foot and two hitches to stop it slipping.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Which hammock is it Johnny? If it's one of Mats I'd ask him, if it the WBBB I'd say no.

I think the amsteel will take the weight but I'm not sure about how it's attached anywhere, got any pics?

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Yes mate it is one of Mats. Will PM him about it. Just thought i would ask and see if anyone has tried it this way before.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't think I've ever heard of it before, there was somebody on here messing about with some weird amsteel stuff not so long ago but I couldn't keep up.

I know the ridgeline is usually none weight bearing and only there to give a consistent sag, I don't know if it's meant to take much weight but I suppose if the knots are good enough it might be okay.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Provided that the suspension lines to the trees are at 25-30 degrees from horizontal, you will be fine. the total weight on each suspension line will be close to the weight of the occupant. That is divided between the ridgeline and the material of the hammock, so expect the pull on the ridgeline to be much less than your own weight. if the suspension lines are at much less than 25-30 deg,, then forces go up exponentially.
Amsteel used in hammocks has a breaking strain in excess of 500 kilos, so you should be OK if the hammock is hung correctly.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I would use caution... The Amsteel Ridgeline on mine (one of mat's customs) is thinner than the Amsteel used for the whoopies... I'm assuming its to save a few grams and also just control sag.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Its the same material in the ridgeline as the whoopies.
Think for safety i will just go back to seperate whoopies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE