Hammock posts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I know this has come up a hundred times before, I just can't be bothered to trawl through all the old posts and we could probably do with a fresh thread with new POV's.

I want to be able to put my hammock and tarp up in my garden to practice putting it all up and also have somewhere to dry it after use but I have now trees in my garden.

I have been having a look around and I think I have come up with a set up that should work.

If I got two 2.4m mini sleepers 125mm round but planed sides (for stacking purposes around veg beds) and sunk them 600mm in the ground with a few bags of postcrete round each one would they hold a 155-160lb person? Or does anyone have any other suggestions that I could literally put end first into the lawn with concrete round them?

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
If it's any help I have one end of my hammock on a 4" × 4" fence post , 8' with 2' in the ground that happens to be my in my fence. Put in with postcrete.
I used the rings that come on a plate with 4 screw holes to tie the hammock to. They are used in farms , stables.
The post the other end is the old fence post that I stuffed down the holes in the concrete blocks that make up the garden wall. It is about 5'
above the ground and about 1' ish in the wall.
It is very solid and not going anywhere. I only weight about 55k tho.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2015
Pembroke
Ideally I would use 3 m posts to hold a person's weight with approx 800mm in the ground and put them tilting outward slightly. Posts will work very different to trees and if not enough depth and ballast they will just pull out of the ground. For fencing we use 2.4 m posts with approx 600 mm in the ground and that just about takes the strain of barb wire. A humans weight will put much more of a load on that so would definitely recommend longer posts and greater depth. You could consider scaffold poles they are strong and galvanised probably get 2 x 10m used poles for 20 quid ish. :)

Sent from my SM-G110H using Tapatalk

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
For strength scaffold tube, but instead of concreting them into the ground use plastic drainage tubing of the right diameter and slot the scaffold tubes in when you need them for a neater job. Don't forget to leave enough room for topsoil turf/stone when concreting, and push a bar or stick down the tube and into the ground to allow for drainage when removed and of course end caps for the drainage tube. :)

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I thought about scaffold tubes as I know they are pretty cheap second hand but I didnt know how well my tree huggers would grip it? I also thought about putting them in a sleeve so they can be removed but I would like a really snug fit as I would want the posts as vertical as possible so it doesnt look ****.

I saw a few youtube videos but their posts bowed inwards under the strain. I dont want that happening as I want to put the tarp up too and it will cause it to sag.

I have also found some 200mm x 100mm sleepers and I could plain the corners off to lose the edges.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I use 4 outrigger supports from an old ally tower scaffold to make two A frames plus 2 small ratchet straps to fence post base to the top of the A frame then hang hammock in between

Sent from somewhere in a galaxy far far away...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Look up "turtledog hammock stand". Its basically what George has done. All the horizontal load is carried by the long cross member. I just made one from 44x44 CLS and 20x50 for the legs. Not best choices of material, but it worked.

My observation is that if I want to use a tarp I should really get tripods made of longer timber. Mine are 1.5m (bought 3m lengths and cut in half). I have a WoodsmanX and a 3m tarp. If you attach the hammock more than 25cm from where the tripods support the cross member, you get quite a bend in the middle of the long span. Taller tripods would allow the hammock to be suspended further out without my butt dragging the ground. That in turn would give more room for a tarp/ridgeline arrangement.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Over the Christmas holidays [when I was up in the loft getting decorations down] I discretely poked two holes through the plasterboard ceiling, then passed some webbing through the holes. The next box of decorations to come down took slightly longer as I was up there looping the webbing over the roof beams. I now have an indoor hanging area for my hammock :)

aside from that, the tripod design looks pretty good.

I made a free standing one a while ago, the wood is a little thin but it's all I had at the time and I'm not particularly heavy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE