hammock or tent ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Her's a different look,I sometimes use a tent with a tarp over the front.Best of both methods.

B

Burbidge

Although I have never used a hammock I must say tents or just tarps and bivis dont have to be uncomfortable, with a little time, thought and a good effort you can make yourself extremely comfortable in either set up plus a more enclosed space keeps you considerably warmer...just my 2p's worth sorry if this repeats someone else! James

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
As has already been said, lack of verticals = no bed if you only have an hammock. Personal preference is for tent, although I will soon post for recommendations for certain other pieces of kit...one of which will be hammock. TBH with a bare bones kit you could get the best of both worlds.

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
just spent my 1st weekend away in my new dd travle hammock. having only ever slept on the hard earth i dont recon that the tent will be getting much more use this year

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My solo tent weighs in at 1kg and will take me and my expeditioning kit....but it is b*****y tight!
My tarp set up weighs a lot more but gives me room to play, admire the view and can be used with or without a hammock and in bad weather can and has been, pitched close to the ground for total weather proofing...
Tent or hammock?
It all depends on how much weight I can aford to take, the aims and ambitions I have for a trip, the availability of trees, and my mood at the time.
Overall I prefer the flexibility of a tarp based set up - hammock or none - as I like the contact with the great outdoors and a tent sort of cuts you offf from that. On crowded sites I like the privacy a tent affords.
Although I have not tried it for real I am pretty sure that I could hang my hammock INSIDE one of my tents as long as I had a tree at each of its two doors (BIG tent!).....:)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I like tents for the solitude and privacy, and certainly for the lack of bugs. Tarps I love for the open views, fresh air and openess. Once I get my hammock midge netting and a decent sleeping bag, it's tarp and hammock all the way. My set up isn't heavy, tarp, hammock, bivi bag, sleeping mat and sleeping bag allows me to set up just about anywhere, or at least anywhere I am like to go.

I'd say, both tarps and tents have their place, it all depends on what you want at the time considered against where you are and what nature is going to be throwing at you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE