Hammock hanging tape

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Sorry to hijack this post but having looked at this set up i would like to know what the line over the hammoc is for and where is it attached. I am guessing its there to hang stuff from!!!!

Partly,
It also gives you the optimum size of 'sag' for being able to lie comfortably.

105" I believe.

G

grayclose31

I don't understand how that works. If anyone can help that would be great.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I don't understand how that works. If anyone can help that would be great.

Your talking sag angle?

The 'ridgeline' is attached to the hammock suspension, so that when the hammock is hung, the ridgeline is tight. The most used angle for blackbirds(which Shewies hammock is) according to hammock forums, is about 30 degrees. With the ridgeline permanently attached, its easy to get the hang (sag) angle spot on everytime for maximum repeatable hanging comfort.

Other options are to take a digital inclinometer, a protractor and spirit level, or I prefer to use my stereo-optical reference inclinometers-my eyes. :lmao:

mikewilkinson

Apr 28, 2010
Blackrod, Bolton
Hanging in a Hammock is all about the angle of the dangel (Sag). It determines the strength of cordage needed to hold you up, it impacts on shoulder squeeze and also on how flat you can lay in it. 30 degrees is quite often quoted, but it all depends on the width and length of the hammock itself. Short narrow hammocks are better pulled a little tighter to counter lying like a banana, but not so tight that you cant make the most of lying asymmetically (say 25 degrees), wider hammocks can be slung a little slacker as the width lets you lie flatter asymmetrically(35 degrees), when using narrow hammocks it is finding the right pay off between shoulder squeeze/flatness and can vary between 35 and 10 degrees depending on length of hammock. I have a Tenthwonder hammock that is a little narrower than I would prefer but at about 25 degrees I can get pretty flat on the asymmetrical lay without suffering too much squeeze on the shoulders. Knowing roughly what my angle of dangle means that I can begin to tailor my cordage to my weight. What many people forget in calculating forces for cordage (in particular with structural ridgelines) is it is not the angle of the hammock referenced to the horizontal, but the angle of the suspension referenced to the horizontal that determines the tension in the suspension. I hang on a single line, which I pull to about 10 degrees, with my hammock fixed at 25 degrees. The single line for my weight + equipment(and a fudge factor) needs to have a breaking strain of at least 300kg. If I pulled it uber tight say 5 degrees then that strain would need to be 600kgs. Happy hanging!

mikewilkinson

Apr 28, 2010
Blackrod, Bolton
Ohh Forgot to mention, add knots into the equation and you may need to factor in a further 40%-60% for the stresses caused by the knot. When using cllimbing rated kit this generally isn't a problem as you are looking at dynamic loading usually well above 1000kg. If like, many of the weight weenies out there you are using cordage sourced from the sailling fraternity i.e dyneema, then using pure 12 strand sk75 or better, 3mm in diameter will offer a breaking strain of about 1000kg+.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
are you talking about webbing? just get hh treehuggers... its just seatbelt material with a loop at each end.... its thick so it doesnt slip, its guarenteed to take your weight and its not heavy....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE