hammock fittings

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I am thinking of replacing the green tape on my dd hammock, I went out today and the tape was not long enough. I have 10M of jute sash cord and was wondering if anyone has tried jute before? pro's/cons etc

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
It all depends...... (stock answer for most queries these days)
Some jute sash cord is a jute braid over a manmade inner - in which case it might be strong enough, if its all jute, then it might not be....
When you do the calculations ( I haven't but going on info from Hammock forums!) the resulting load on hammock end ropes can be up to 600kg even for a light-weight camper! I have two, five metre x 2 inch webbing tapes to hold my hammock up, and use the "Ed Speer four wrap knot" principal, so I have plenty of scope for different tree spacing.
It might be worth doubling the sash cord on one end and buying a length of climbing tape for the other end - the tape, when coiled should take up no more room than a tin of boot polish.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
personally i wouldn't use it for hanging a hammock, i've not used it but would question it's strength, also it rots if you store it damp weakening it further, if you're looking for low cost then seat belt webbing from a scrap yard/vehicle dismantler's, also you could use the webbing off those ratchet roof rack straps sold in cheap shops like poundland, just cut the webbing off the ratchet, they are only about a £1-£2 in budget shops and you get a fair length of webbing, also the hook attached may be useful.

If you get hold of a copy of RM's ecosleep DVD and see how he's rigged his, with a metal ring on a short loop of climbing tape at each hammock end and a long length of climbing tape attached to each ring as your suspending tapes, you'll find it works a treat (mine does anyway) and the knots are great too.
I probably haven't explained it very well, but I'm sure there are enough hammock guru's on here with the ability to post a few pics that know what I'm on about and can explain/show it better.
Proper climbing tape is the way to go I reckon, whichever way you decide to rig it up. You wouldn't want to end up on your backside in the middle of the night because you'd skimped on using the proper stuff, would you. ;)
Cheers,
J

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've used climbing tape in the past without problems. There is a little stretch when you set up, but have a swing in the hammock after setting up to take the stretch out and re-adjust. Problem solved.
I use spectra cord wth a 6t breaking strain now :D

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
When you do the calculations ( I haven't but going on info from Hammock forums!) the resulting load on hammock end ropes can be up to 600kg even for a light-weight camper! I have two, five metre x 2 inch webbing tapes to hold my hammock up, and use the "Ed Speer four wrap knot" principal, so I have plenty of scope for different tree spacing.

I did the calculations a while ago. 1x 15 year old could theoreticaly be supported by 550 para cord, so long as the lines where at just the right angle. if the angle got bigger "snap". thats ignoring knots, and assuming that the para cord would acutualy take 550lbs. I went over to climbers accessory cord.

Podcast Bob

As 'organic' as the DD green cord is I agree with the comment above and have exchanged the cord for a climbing caribiner placed through the hammock loop and a couple of climbing straps.

I can set up the hammock in less than 30 seconds by placing the loop around the trees and placing the other end through the loop. Make sure you slide the 'knot' to the side or back of the tree. Thus as tension is applied. the strap compresses against the tree.

They they both click into place on the hammock and job done and not expensive either!

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Right I have never seen or used Climbers tape. so i went out to have a look for some. The only stuff I found was a white adhevive tape that climbers use on their hands, surely this is not the stuff for rigging a hammock. Please advise me someone.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I can set up the hammock in less than 30 seconds by placing the loop around the trees and placing the other end through the loop. Make sure you slide the 'knot' to the side or back of the tree. Thus as tension is applied. the strap compresses against the tree.

what knot do you use on carabiner to tape from tree, i was thinking something easily adjustable to allow for different widths between trees, maybe a simple clove hitch with tape from tree to carabiner as very easily adjusted, a fixed loop would not be easily adjustable unless maybe a bowline, what do you do to allow for quick easy adjustment of length of tape.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I got a massive roll of 1" olive green polyester webbing off evilbay for silly money ages and ages ago, im a fairly big chap and it's never let me down, plus being webbing it doesnt cut into the tree like sash cord or para cord would, as it has a more even weight distribution, make sure you get polyester and not polypropelene though as the polyprop stretches like crazy and you will end up with ya bum ont floor:)

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Right I have never seen or used Climbers tape. so i went out to have a look for some. The only stuff I found was a white adhevive tape that climbers use on their hands, surely this is not the stuff for rigging a hammock. Please advise me someone.

As previous poster said it's just flat rope. You can add to your exisitng tape by using the tape knot, basically two interlocking overhand knots. The only way to tie tape together.

what knot do you use on carabiner to tape from tree, i was thinking something easily adjustable to allow for different widths between trees, maybe a simple clove hitch with tape from tree to carabiner as very easily adjusted, a fixed loop would not be easily adjustable unless maybe a bowline, what do you do to allow for quick easy adjustment of length of tape.

A clove hitch or italian hitch.

I use 'maillon rapides' very small and lightweight.

Nick

Podcast Bob

Joonsy, I don't use a knot, as the climbing 'straps' are a sewn loop, NOT just a length of tape.

Therefore I put the end of the loop around the tree, (Once or twice depending on tree thickess and desired final length of remaining loop) then pass the other end through it and pull back on itself, thus compressing the 'knot' against the side of the tree.

Then I just clip the strap through the crab and go to the other end to complete it.

Hope that makes sense?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE