Hammock Differences

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
I have never been a fan of hammocks as I normally sleep on my stomach but I recently tried out one of the EasyHammock hammocks and was quite impressed by it so I am now looking into getting a hammock. The EasyHammock / Henessey hammocks seem to be around £200 where the DD / Napsack hammocks are much cheaper. As a newbie to hammocks I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the differences are between these "cheaper" and "more expensive" hammocks and where the price difference comes from. I don't mind spending the higher amount if they are that much better and will last a lot longer.

Thanks.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Hennessy is a complete set up, you get the tarp and snake skins as well as the hammock. DD you need to buy a tarp separately, which does give you more flexibility and if you want snake skins, an easier way of packing it away

We use the basic DD Hammock for the scouts and it is an easy and cheap way into Hammocking, but they are short, although big enough for an adult.

The bigger the hammock the easier it is to get a flat lie, or if you are a front sleeper, it will be easier to do this in a big hammock.

Sent using Tapatalk

Reactions: SaraR

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
As said, some hammocks come as a complete set up others you have to do in kit form, also a longer hammock will make it easier to achieve a flat lay, or there about, the Amok 3 is a complete system that pitches completely different and uses an inflatable pad in a way that will let you sleep on your front or side or back, loads of Youtube video's, also another factor is materials with a fair few branching into the lightweight market.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
A few questions as I am trying to understand what's needed for hammock camping and what type / weight of kit I should expect to carry...

If I have an under blanket rated to 10 degrees and I am out in 2 degrees, will a "good" sleeping bag rated in the minus temperatures compensate or will I still need a lower temperature rated under blanket?

If I have a good under blanket will I still need a sleeping bag or would a wool blanket suffice above me?

Will a under blanket rated to -5 degrees be too hot in the warmer months?

Can you "double up" on underblankets if needed?

Thanks

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
I have an easyhammock, the one without insulation, and really like it. The extra cost is because of the extra cost of small scale manufacture (1 guy and his sewing machine). It's really nice having direct communication with the maker, customisation options, etc.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Knapsack Hammocks have some good products available . Their hammocks are big and allow flat lay , I've had no issues with mine ……..
Also you cant beat the DD stuff for value for money ……..
I do have an eye for a Hennessy set up though :rolleyes:

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
A few questions as I am trying to understand what's needed for hammock camping and what type / weight of kit I should expect to carry...

If I have an under blanket rated to 10 degrees and I am out in 2 degrees, will a "good" sleeping bag rated in the minus temperatures compensate or will I still need a lower temperature rated under blanket?

If I have a good under blanket will I still need a sleeping bag or would a wool blanket suffice above me?

Thanks

I'm a relative newbie but I used the dd underblanket (rated to -5) and a snugpak softie 4 (4 season bag) last weekend in scotland, without problem. I think you can adjust the underblanket to be more/less effective and you can also use the sleeping bag like a quilt when it's warmer

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees

Thanks

A lot of depends on how you sleep, some sleep warmer than others, the 'art' of hammocking .................. there is no golden rule, a lot sleep with a better rated underquilt and a quilt inside instead of a sleeping bag, if you get to warm you can vent the underquilt to allow air flow so it's not as warm , yes you can double up on underquilts, probably not needed in the UK except in the harshest winter moments. A great source for everything hammock is a guy called Shug on Youtube, be warned, he has loads of videos and is highly entertaining as well as informative, he's been down to minus 40 with 1 of his set ups.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE