Hammock Carabiners?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Could anyone kindly point me in the direction of an online shop that sells carabiners sutable for supporting a hammock...
I openly admit i know nothing about them what-so-ever, so advice gladly received!

Nothing too fancy (insert expensive LoL) and preferably takes paypal!

I dont want much :rolleyes:

TIA, TBL.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have a google for a quickdraw set, you''ll get two climbing rated crabs with a short section of webbing in for about £8-10

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thanks rich... i was acutally just looking at them!

would i need a screw gate, or just a standard 'clip' mechanism? or is it personal choice...

Cheers, TBL.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Either or really mate, the strength in crabs is in the length rather than the opening mechanism so as long as they're climbing rated it won't make much difference to be honest. Screw gates are probably an over kill as your suspension is unlikely to fall out somehow, the wire gates or simple snap shut will be fine. Try and get something rated at 25kn minimum if you can

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cool... i did notice some where 20kn up to 25's.

I'll have a look-see! a pair upto £20 or so is fine :)

Thanks for the advice, al.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
One more question if i may :)

Whats a good size to cope with the fairly thick(ish) rope that comes with the hammocks...
they seem to go from 5mm to 18mm or so?

Cheers, al.

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
nooo don't go buying expensive climbing karabiners. WASTE OF MONEY FOR THIS PURPOSE. go to screwfix and buy a pack of 10 snaphooks for £6. they are unbelievably strong. i've had 2 in my hammock on them and they show no sign of deterioration. and they come in handy all over the campsite so no worries about having a few spare. if you've got any questions about setup i'll psot you a few pics of my rigging!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Thanks rich... i was acutally just looking at them!

would i need a screw gate, or just a standard 'clip' mechanism? or is it personal choice...

Cheers, TBL.

You certainly don't need screwgates. The principle reason to use those is to stop yourself from accidentally unclipping the wrong krab at an inopportune moment.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cheers for the reply's... as said, i dont know anything about them.

Managed to pick up a tidy set of wire gates for £15, that should pretty much last forever and i cant grumble at the price, which was P&P inc.

Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated.

TBL.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE