Hammock bliss Sky bed "bug free"

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
http://hammockbliss.com/sky-bed-bug-free
This looks like a good hammock and has received decent reviews from what I can see. Pity no UK retailer. Importing one make it not worth the while compared to waiting for a warbonnet from UK hammocks.

Anyone got any experience with them, or got one? Or even better can get one to the UK at the US cost?

Cheers

Mike

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm a confirmed ground dweller, but that's a hammock that could persuade me to try the hanging thing................

I've got a mate living in N Tasmania, I'll mail him and see if he can do ought :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think they are in Tucson, Arizona. Is that in Taz?

No, it's not, but they have them on sale in Oz for the equivalant of fifty quid, which is as cheap if not cheaper than the US price; I've fired him off a message, and if he can post here for a decent cost they might look a bargain. He's probably in a position to offer an opinion on them as well, he's a very experienced outdoorsman and knows the UK conditions very well :)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
No, it's not, but they have them on sale in Oz for the equivalant of fifty quid, which is as cheap if not cheaper than the US price; I've fired him off a message, and if he can post here for a decent cost they might look a bargain. He's probably in a position to offer an opinion on them as well, he's a very experienced outdoorsman and knows the UK conditions very well :)

My thoughts too - they look like an affordable asym. But just not in this country.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Been in contact with the owner. Can get them shipped over for £80, but may get charged £20 in VAT when it hits customs. Very tempted, like the length ways sleeve for a sleeping mat

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm a confirmed ground dweller, but that's a hammock that could persuade me to try the hanging thing................

I've got a mate living in N Tasmania, I'll mail him and see if he can do ought :)

Anything back on that?

I like the look of these. Anyone know if the hammock can be used without the net, by removal or inverting the hammock? I'm definitely interested in a more diagonal sleep. My Claytor is fine for a nights snooze, but 2 or 3 nights sleeping on my back and I ache.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Anything back on that?

I like the look of these. Anyone know if the hammock can be used without the net, by removal or inverting the hammock? I'm definitely interested in a more diagonal sleep. My Claytor is fine for a nights snooze, but 2 or 3 nights sleeping on my back and I ache.

They sell a version without a net and a separate net. But the net is attached to this version.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
They sell a version without a net and a separate net. But the net is attached to this version.

I think I prefer the open version for my type of Southern buftae camping :D. I've got a couple of tubs of Xylarias mozz and midge repellent. It's a pity they use that BundleBox system for international orders, I don't really want to subscribe until I have an actual postage cost.

The Claytor has a bug net, but more often than not I fall asleep with either the net wide open or the hammock still inverted due to the partaking of beverage :)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I think I prefer the open version for my type of Southern buftae camping :D. I've got a couple of tubs of Xylarias mozz and midge repellent. It's a pity they use that BundleBox system for international orders, I don't really want to subscribe until I have an actual postage cost.

The Claytor has a bug net, but more often than not I fall asleep with either the net wide open or the hammock still inverted due to the partaking of beverage :)

Mail him direct - he'll sort you out. Tell him Mike sent you, and you saw it being discussed on BCUK.

relax@hammockbliss.com

His names Dov

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Been in contact with the owner. Can get them shipped over for £80, but may get charged £20 in VAT when it hits customs. Very tempted, like the length ways sleeve for a sleeping mat

The VAT afaik will be £16 if the price of product is £80 as you get charged 20%. Unless the sender is kind enough to mark the value as less than £15 or an item that is free of VAT ;)

...Plus Duty and Parcelforce handling charge depending on what courier they use.

I currently have about £500 worth of MLD gear on order so I'm dreading getting the gray card if I get stung by customs lottery :(

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Unless the sender is kind enough to mark the value as less than £15 or an item that is free of VAT ;)

Leaves you with no way of recouping a loss if the item gets lost in the post though. Illegal too, obviously.

It's also worth noting that the VAT is worked out including the postage costs, insurance etc, not just on the cost of the item.

Mike, thanks for your reply, I'll send him a message.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Leaves you with no way of recouping a loss if the item gets lost in the post though. Illegal too, obviously.

It's also worth noting that the VAT is worked out including the postage costs, insurance etc, not just on the cost of the item.

Pay by paypal and you should be protected.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire

No it doesnt? You can recoup cost easily via your credit card company or payment gateway like Paypal.

Not if the declared value of the item itself is less than £15. Postage etc is only counted if the item itself is over £15, If it isn't then its VAT exempt for importing.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Are you talking about purposely underdeclared goods? My point is that the seller won't be able to recoup losses above the value stated on the customs form.

As we're talking about importing hammocks that cost well over £15, my point about postage etc is valid. I wasn't trying to make a point about goods within the tax thresholds, just make a point within the context of the thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE