hammock and tarp advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Here you go a pic of it from E-bay:
newtarp1.jpg

I've personally not heard of them, but it seems pretty good, and it seems to tick all the right boxes (double stitched waterproofed seems) and the tarp/poncho is well thought out.

it looks quite like the DD (double "D") hammock which I know to be good!

Have a "google" for product reports etc.;)

Note: they have a 14 day return policy, so you can take it home get a good look at it and if you don't like it get a refund!

is the net needed?...personal preference but I tend to use a net all year round. from early spring to late autumn you'll get bugs around, and if you like reading a book before you sleep, then a bug net is for you!
in winter it can slow wind slightly and offers a small but nice amount of privacy.

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
well with all things ebay thats not quite the right image as the actual hammock thats being sold doesnt have the built in net like the image shows lol

It's basically just a cacoon type hammock from what i gather and a tarp to go over, with all the ropes needed for both. I'm guessing its good enough to start off but the question is will i regret not getting something better!

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The tarp in the picture is perfect for summer use but isn't really big enough for winter or rainy days.

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
a bit pointless then really? Would rather have one suitable for all weather then just summer. What tarp would you advise? on the lower end of the budget if possible (ie not £100 or something silly!)

As for a hammock, im guessing/assuming you keep in the warm with the cacoon style hammock?

Ian H

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2009
South Wales
looking at this hammock now

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=370212073818

any views on it? would save buying a net obviously but would need to buy a tarp seperate.

Also it says about putting in a mat underneath the 2 layers, would this make my back warmer or not due to it being condensed?

EDIT

Also any advice on this tarp:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRAVEL-CAMPING-TOURING-TARP-SIZE-3X3-METERS-IN-GREEN_W0QQitemZ260416763756QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca20c776c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

seems REALLY cheap compaired to other 3x3 tarps. Do you think i should stay away?

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
As I said on another thread, I use a 2007 model DD camping hammock and a (find it on ebay) Fox Olive Basha. It's not huge but I've been out in it in all weathers and all seasons. I also highy recommend my own design of underblanket; just make sure it's 1-1.2m wide not 800mm wide.

Chris

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I recently converted to hammock and tarp (1 year ago) and have tried many of both and tried the coccoon from wanderinstar.
What I have ended up happy with is:-

DD travel hammock
tatonka 3x4 tarp
open cell kip mat
5 season sleeping bag for winter and army summer bag for summer

I generally use the 5 season bag because if it gets to hot I can lie on top of it,but if it gets cold with just the summer bag then I stay cold.
The tarp is polycatton and doesn't suffer from condensation like a nylon one does,it's 3x4m
and has plenty of room underneath for those rainy days(the hammock also doubles as a seat).
the hammock is easy to use and well made,it has a mossie net but if you dont want to use it then you can hang the hammock upside-down.
After lots of tests and many nights out this set up is what suits me ,I find it versatile ,light and easy to set up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE