hammer to adze

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Picked up a hammer head the other day lying on the side of the road. Today I forged it into my first adze.

1-2015%2520pics%2520for%2520collage2.jpg

1-P1260147.JPG

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Love how you made use of the claws decoratively rather than just chopping them off!

Wicked job, mate. I'd love one like that.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Very innovative use of material. I like the blade shape for cross grain cutting.
There's so much mass behind the edge, it must make for easy striking.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
That was one of the thoughts my freind an I were having when we made my frankenstein of an adze but we had no way of heating it enough to shape it so most of mine is welded and grinded before shaping and sharpening the end.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks for all the feedback. I've only had time to try it out once that evening, and I did so on a seasoned piece of mesquite shown in the photo. I thought it performed the way it should, but I have no experience with adzes, so that report is pretty subjective. I left the claw on for the weight it provided, but I agree the little eye it forms is kind of neat. I'll try to post a shot of a bowl soon.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pacific Northwest native carvers, Bill Holm in particular, have discovered that there's a nearly ideal placement
for your hand: At the very edge of the bevel, come off that at 90 degrees with an imaginary line back to the handle.
The intersection is where your index finger should be.

Obviously the tool can cut, no matter where you hold it. Work on a 60' pole for a couple of days.

Strike rate: if you listen to and match your heart rate, you can strike for hours.
Hack away like a madman and you will tire fairly quickly.
Obviously, you're having fun.

I use 3 adzes: Sitka & D adze blades from Kestrel Tool and the bigger 7/75 adze from Stubai.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE