'Ham' Radio...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi John, no, because of the TB I've missed the exam but will get it sorted next month. I'll look the the KX1 clone, any links? As it stands my bill with Elecraft is £££££. DealExtreme are knocking out some good little hand held rigs for not much coin too. I'm looking at modifying two free standing lantern supports to hang a centre fed dipole off, more to come on that one.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi John, no, because of the TB I've missed the exam but will get it sorted next month. I'll look the the KX1 clone, any links? As it stands my bill with Elecraft is £££££. DealExtreme are knocking out some good little hand held rigs for not much coin too. I'm looking at modifying two free standing lantern supports to hang a centre fed dipole off, more to come on that one.

Hi Richard,

The Kx-1 clone is called a HB-1a IIRC

here is a youtube comparison..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ15WAaFvEU

eham's review
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8263

and one for sale on the bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/HB-1A-3-BAND-QR...577?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4153b32111

HTH

John

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Mikey, would you like to borrow (free of charge) a MFJ 16010 long wire tuner? I have one that I'm not likely to be using for the next 6 months or so. Very small, handles 100 watts, tunes 160m to 10m using a log wire and a counterpoise. Does not have a built in SWR meter but your radio possibly has one built in.

I have an Emtech ZM2 and it is great but of course it is qrp only.

Doc,
First of all, apologies for the late reply - I didn't see your offer until now!

That's mighty kind of you to offer! I've actually received and built my ZM-2 and, because of my QTH layout/antenna site, I'm only planning to operate a max of 10W HF. So, I guess I'm stuck with QRP for the moment - should be OK though.

If I do manage to build a good antenna and have no EMC issues at 10W, I would like to take you up on the offer just to see what the power limits are.

The FT-100 covers DC-to-light (just kidding), ... actually it covers HF+6m+2m+70cm but I've also managed to get hold of a Wouxun KG-UVD1P, which is getting me onto the repeaters in North Glasgow for the moment.

At the moment, I have the tuner and the radio but am still short of a DC power supply (13.8V dc and to about 15A) and an antenna. I am waiting for next month's payday to buy the wood, cable and wire and then I'll do the 10m folded dipole and possibly J-antenna for 2m/70cm if I can fund that too.

Once I'm up and running on voice, it'll be time to source a old straight morse key and start learning and practising!

Out of interest, my garden is pretty small and I'm not sure I could really manage a reasonable length random wire; however, I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on how small I could get and still get some reasonable coverage.

Last edited:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
No probs Mike, just PM me if you want it.

Hard to beat a dipole but space is the problem. The ZM-2 will tune a doublet fed with ladder line.

I've got a big garden but an XYL who doesn't like wire everywhere.
I tried the following:
Random long wire with a quarter wave counterpoise - worked fairly well.
I tried a horizontal loop around the house, fed with a balanced ATU (like the ZM-2). OK, but not great.
MFJ 1796 vertical. Small but ugly. Covers 40m to 2m. Better than expected. Currently sitting dismantled in the shed.
Finally I bought a 10m telescopic pole fishing rod, and attatched it to a post with heavy duty plastic ties. Ran a wire up it, with an auto-atu at the bottom (Furuno maritime surplus off ebay, £60!!!) and a dozen radials. This is the best yet - I've worked VK and the Falklands on it. If it's windy I telescope it down. It's been up 3 yrs now. These fibreglas poles are pretty cheap and at this time of year, you can extend it in the evening, take it down in the moning, and no-one complains.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
G1GOP here. Wife is G1GOQ, eldest daughter is 2E1GYG
Not on much these days. I work 100 yds down the road. When I was all over the UK, I was resident on some repeaters lol
Alan

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
I didnt mean it to sound cheeky. I was just having a joke.

but to go back on topic, i think it is bushcrafty enough, its always sensible to have some form of communication if you are in the hills alone.

Tom

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Where did you source the fibreglass pole? That sounds like something I could build with, although I'd have to mount next to the shack to get feed point close to the atu. Food for thought!

Would this be 'man-enough' for the job? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Telescopic-10m-Fibreglass-Pole-Windsocks-Flags-Whip-/120581239659?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1333b36b#ht_901wt_907

Is there much difference in terms of the number of contacts you're likely to make with a vertical as opposed to a horizontal wire dipole?

And, well, if you ever want to get rid of the MFJ, let me know! But God, yeah, it's ugly...

Last edited:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Where did you source the fibreglass pole? That sounds like something I could build with, although I'd have to mount next to the shack to get feed point close to the atu. Food for thought!

Would this be 'man-enough' for the job? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Telescopic-10m-Fibreglass-Pole-Windsocks-Flags-Whip-/120581239659?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1333b36b#ht_901wt_907

Is there much difference in terms of the number of contacts you're likely to make with a vertical as opposed to a horizontal wire dipole?

And, well, if you ever want to get rid of the MFJ, let me know! But God, yeah, it's ugly...

That pole is the exact one I use!
They do wear out - mine will need replacing soon, but that's after 3 years use.
Verticals are better for dx but are very dependent on how good your radial system is. However, even short (2 to 5m) radials work- about 8 is a good minimum More is better.On 40m it is a quarter wave and very good, but I've had good results on 80m too.

I'm unlikely to use the MFJ antenna again, and I bought it 2nd hand for £100. If you wish you'd be welcome to give it a go and see how you get on with it, and if you decide you want it, I would let it go for £70. It's a bit heavy to put on ebay. I also have an Antron A99 CB vertical I don't use - IIRC I could get it to work on 10, 12 and 15m without a tuner. It was very good on ten but poor on the other bands.

The MFJ is a bit of a compromise antenna. Even on 40m I mananged Kenya on Hellschreiber. On 20m and up it was fairly good, on 6m and 2m it is a full size vertical dipole, on the other bands there is end loading. Hellish ugly though - my wife hated it. You can also use them horiontally in the loft. Balanced antenna too, so less likely to give EMI problems, tough I did get a bit of TVI on 6m when it was close to the house.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Doc,

PM on the way. I will also definitely have a go with that fibreglass pole - that'll be brilliant for future expeds too - should be a way of anchoring/guying it a bit. Many thanks.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
A bit of an update to this thread...

I've been doing a good bit of QRP operation with my IC 703 mainly on 40m and 20m getting into VK without much issue and up and down NZ on 80m and 40m.

I constructed some simple dipoles for 40m and 20m and have also had some sucess using 2 spools of Racal antenna wire and a centre Balun intended for the Clansman 320... That's set up at my QTH currently as a 40/80m antenna.....

I'm keen to give 2m SSB a go so I'm casting about for a multimode 2m rig at the moment...

John

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm working on my license now. A week ago at a Ham Fest I picked up the study guide for the Technician license (it's our lowest grade here) I was planning on taking the Tech exam this coming week but after studying it 3 days I was scoring 94% to 100% on the practice exams. I think it might be smarter to study the next level (General over here) and take both exams in the same sitting and save $15. You can take all 3 levels in one exam here as long as you take them in sequence and pass them all; and there's no penalty for failing the higher class. I'd still get the highest one I passed in propper sequence. It might mean waiting another month to prep for General class though as I'm not sure I'll be ready by next week. Any opinions? Would it be better to go ahead with the Tech now and take the General later or wait a month and take both? I won't be able to afford to get on the air this month anyway.

P.S. Youtube has some great vids of hams contacting the International Space Station.

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I'm working on my license now. A week ago at a Ham Fest I picked up the study guide for the Technician license (it's our lowest grade here) I was planning on taking the Tech exam this coming week but after studying it 3 days I was scoring 94% to 100% on the practice exams. I think it might be smarter to study the next level (General over here) and take both exams in the same sitting and save $15. You can take all 3 levels in one exam here as long as you take them in sequence and pass them all; and there's no penalty for failing the higher class. I'd still get the highest one I passed in propper sequence. It might mean waiting another month to prep for General class though as I'm not sure I'll be ready by next week. Any opinions? Would it be better to go ahead with the Tech now and take the General later or wait a month and take both? I won't be able to afford to get on the air this month anyway.

P.S. Youtube has some great vids of hams contacting the International Space Station.

Hi,

There is a lot of good 'ham' stuff on YT.

Congratulations for getting into the hobby. I cannot offer any advice on how to sit your exams TBH here in NZ there is just 1 exam and you end up with the NZ general licence. It does take a bit of study.

I found that once I was on air operating and doing stuff like making QSO's sorting out Antenna's etc my knowlege has increased massively. So there might be some justification for getting the technician licence out of the way and getting on air.

What ever you do have fun..

John

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks. I'm sure I'll have fun. Speaking of antennas, the local ham club is having an antenna party Saturday and I may go try to lend a hand. They're hanging a new club antenna for their repeater on tower space rented from a local commercial communications company. Seems like a good way to learn and meet some of them.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I'm hoping to take the "Foundation" exam within the next couple of weeks and really looking forward to it, and if I am able to do a bit more studying over the next couple of months hopefully I'll get my "Intermediate" by the end of May, all being well. I'll maybe even catch a few of you "on air" at some point.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well I did it tonight! We have 3 license classes here; Technician (VHF & UHF), General (VHF/UHF and HF) and Extra (all amateur bands and modes except M.A.R.S.; that requires acceptance by the military to participate on their frequencies). I took Technician and scored 100%. Proceeded to take General and scored 94.3%. The V.E.s (Volunteer Examiners) asked if I was ready to try the Extra exam but I need another month of study before I try that. My call sign should be on the FCC website by mid next week (I can legally go on the air then as a General Class operator if I can afford a radio) and my actual paper license should be here by mid next month.

Hopefully after I get some experience I can apply for M.A.R.S.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE