Halloumi cheese

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Wonderful cypriot cheese, that doesn't melt.

So far, i have kebabed them on the bbq (which was nice). Also fried in savoury flour, in a pitta bread with sundried tomato's (marinaded in olive oil, garlic and chilli's). Which was really fab.

What else can i do with 'em ?

(as a vegetarian)

crofter

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 3, 2004
UK
You can grill it and eat it and then grill some more and eat it and carry on - it is gorgeous.
Mu kids call it squeaky cheese as it stays a little solid and squeaks when you eat it.
Ade

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Yup, it's officially known as "squeaky cheese" amongst my friends. :D

Apart from BBQ's, if you have a griddle or heavy frying pan, heat it up nice and hot. Slice the Halloumi into domino shapes and cook on one side for a few minutes and then flip it onto the other side (flip the cheese, not the pan, before anyone asks !!) :p That way, you get nicely browned, but still "squeaky" cheese.

I'm sure I've got some serious recipes somewhere, but you can't beat it on it's own. much like asparagus, as any of the Ashdown folk will confirm?

Martin

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
Here's a good one:

- Dice some aubergine, sprinkle salt on it and put a heavy weight on it to draw the bitter juice out for half an hour, then rinse

- Blanche some spinach and then squeeze the water out of it

- Dice some halloumi, and shallow fry all three in a little olive oil with black pepper (if you like the halloumi crispy on the outside, fry it first for a few minutes before adding the other two)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Halloumi is great because of the way it melts but doesn't melt :)

I often put it in the middle of bread dough before baking it over the fire - when the bread is done the cheese is all melted and the cheese fat soaks through - lovely!

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Cut it into cubes about 2cm, cut 2 or 3 assorted peppers into slices, thick slices of red onion and a couple of whole bulbs of garlic with the top sliced off to expose a little of each clove at the tip.

Mix in a bowl with 3 or 4 table spoons good olive oil and spread evenly on a baking tray, sprinkle with 2 or 3 tablespoons soy sauce. Roast in a hot oven for about 20 mins or until every thing is nicely browned and cooked through.

Eat with fresh crusty bread and a good red wine and argue with your loved ones over who gets to mop up the last drops of "juice".

George

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
makes awesome open toasted sandwiches under the grill

onion mayo mustard topped with a slab of halloumi, mmmmmmmmmmmm

i used to get it from a shepherd in greece, to make feta they separate the curds and press them, (this is the halloumi) the pressed cheese is laid on tilted draining racks and sprinkled with rock salt to draw the water out making feta much drier crumblier and saltier.

the shepherd used to insist that the cheese was not ready yet when i asked for it, and would only sell it to me after i had eaten a huge chunk just to prove i liked it lol

she also had chickens, and if i asked her for 10 eggs and she only had 9 we would all have to sit and drink coffee for half an hour till the hens had laid the next egg

halloumi is eaten widely in cyprus but for reasons i never understood , not in greece as much

fond memories thanks

Tant

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i love halloumi. i spent 3 years living in cyprus and it formed a major part of my diet (halloumi and lountsa roll with tomato sauce from the naafi at tea-break, lovely)

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Graham_S said:
i love halloumi. i spent 3 years living in cyprus and it formed a major part of my diet (halloumi and lountsa roll with tomato sauce from the naafi at tea-break, lovely)
In cyprus on schemes in the troodos we used to knock up brill kebabs with tomatos halloumi salami & mushrooms, toast some pittas - ace

Dhole

Jun 12, 2005
Hi there

I love halloumi! check out Delias recipe with lime and caper vinaigrette.... mouthwatering. Ide also go with the griddled method , I like serve it with cous cous and roasted vegetables....... its too late to cook now isnt it?...........

dave

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Dhole said:
Hi there

I love halloumi! check out Delias recipe with lime and caper vinaigrette.... mouthwatering. Ide also go with the griddled method , I like serve it with cous cous and roasted vegetables....... its too late to cook now isnt it?...........

dave
yah its NEVER too late to cook

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE